Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #1

Share |

New carpet too high

Kind of thought this would happen but was hoping it wouldn't. Put area rug in the living room with padding and now the front door won't open. It's a 36" (ugly) steel door. I know I could slice out the padding in that area but I am concerned we will wear a ridge in the carpet where there is no padding and it would look funny. Could replace the door, but that's extreme. Last resort would be to hack the steel door, reinforce it and seal it up.

Just trying to see if anyone has any new idea's.

araczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #2

New carpet too high

Would you consider a small area of vinyl flooring in front of the door. Cutting the door is not a very viable solution. You would have to raise the threshold. In order to do that you have to remove the door frame. This comes with a host of other problems related to cutting off a metal door.

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #3

New carpet too high

Let's see: first you say 'carpet in the living room' (so I thought wall-to-wall, OK), with underpadding (OK so far) onto which a steel front door opens (still OK), then you say "area rug" - now I'm lost.

An "area rug" is a rug, a moveable carpet, that covers an area. An oriental rug is an example of an 'area rug'. If you have an area rug, just change the underpadding to a skinnier one...

But if you have wall-to-wall with underpadding, why did the installer let this happen? Did you install it? what thickness underpadding was put down? is there tack-strips involved?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #4

New carpet too high

Remnant then? The rug almost fills the room (rug is 19'x12') with only a foot or less away from wall on ends and long even closer to the walls. I either slice the padding out or get a new door. Yeah, bonehead move getting carpet that wide but I had old carpet that was too small and wanted to get bigger. Was crossing fingers and hoping door would open as it looked like it had a chance as I was sick of the look we had.

..AR
Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #5

New carpet too high

i would pull the casing and see if the door can be raised up. wouldnt be to bad of a job depending on what you have for exterior. If it is vinyl siding with brickmold it would be a simple job and resolve this issue for future. When installing a door I like to keep it up 5/8" so an area rug can be placed in front of the door.

If you can do this just depends on how the rough opening was framed.

As another poster said. A vinyl entryway would be an easy alternative. Solid surface like that in front of the door is nice for cleanup also!. Could even go with 12x12" vinyl squares that are self-adhesive. they come in a variety of colors --some are pretty durable and look good. then trim around for a transistion from vinyl to carpet
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #6

New carpet too high

Hi-

Appreciate the suggestoin (vinyl) but I had the carpet bound and I am not about to cut into it as that is what would be needed. 12x19 bound around the edges, wood floor underneath.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #7

New carpet too high

Just a consideration: Might be cheaper to cut the carpet for the doorway and get the cut secion bounded, versus some of the other options -- and might look just fine, if the wood floor's in good condition....

Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote