New Cabinets - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
sweaty

Rewards Points: 250

New Cabinets

I had posted this previously in the wrong section of this forum.

I need to renovate my old kitchen. The house is 34 years old and has been a rental for 26 of those years. We'll live in it for a while and probably rent it out again. Refacing is not an option for these low quality cabinets.

Shopping for cabinets at Lowe's and HD, the stock cabinets do not offer a corner base cabinet. We need to put the sink in this corner because we don't want to re-work the whole design. We also need to get 36-inch wall cabinets. You can only get these if you get all special order cabinets, which are more expensive. Is there a way around this?

How are the cabinets from those stores?

Advertisement

sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

New Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaty View Post

I need to renovate my old kitchen. The house is 34 years old and has been a rental for 26 of those years. We'll live in it for a while and probably rent it out again. Refacing is not an option for these low quality cabinets.

Shopping for cabinets at Lowe's and HD, the stock cabinets do not offer a corner base cabinet. We need to put the sink in this corner because we don't want to re-work the whole design. We also need to get 36-inch wall cabinets. You can only get these if you get all special order cabinets, which are more expensive. Is there a way around this?

I would classify them as a lower end product. There are other RTA products that might have the options you want.
Ikea has a decent product.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

New Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaty View Post

Like anywhere else, the quality of the cabinets is directly related to the cost. You can buy both decent brands and trash from HD and Lowes, just as from many suppliers. IMO, the few dollars more you will pay for the same cabinet from a cabinet supplier is more than worth it for the difference in service. We do not install cabinets from the big boxes because there are way too many problems with mistakes/oversights in the orders, and since they will most likely never deal with the HO who bought them again, they are not very interested in quickly remedying the problem.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

New Cabinets

our cabinets were builder grade 18 years old when we moved in here. we went to home depot and lowes and got prices for cabinets. lowes wanted 6800.00 and for all wood was 8200.00. we ended up getting them from an rta store online for less then half of what lowes wanted for the particleboard cabinets. and since i put them together i know they are assembled better then any i could buy already asembled.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #5

New Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
We do not install cabinets from the big boxes because there are way too many problems with mistakes/oversights in the orders, and since they will most likely never deal with the HO who bought them again, they are not very interested in quickly remedying the problem.
I don't understand this statement. What problems with mistakes and oversights? Who's ordering these cabinets?
Why won't they deal with the HO again? They live in the neighborhood and come to the store on a regular basis.
I've ordered a few kitchens from Home Depot and any problems were taken care of in a timely manner. Not much different then any other cabinet company I've dealt with.
I wouldn't hire a big box subcontractor to measure, order and install a kitchen. Whether it was Home Depot or Sears.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
remodeling pro

New Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I don't understand this statement. What problems with mistakes and oversights? Who's ordering these cabinets?
Why won't they deal with the HO again? They live in the neighborhood and come to the store on a regular basis.
I've ordered a few kitchens from Home Depot and any problems were taken care of in a timely manner. Not much different then any other cabinet company I've dealt with.
I wouldn't hire a big box subcontractor to measure, order and install a kitchen. Whether it was Home Depot or Sears.
The HO is not going to be a repeat kitchen cabinet customer on a frequent basis like a contractor with a cabinet supplier. I am not giving a blanket trashing to the big boxes, like I see some guys here do, but cabinets are just one of those products I avoid from there. Problems have been inadequate fillers, and not enough crown for a few things. The big box designers goal is to price the package as inexpensive as possible, so they will order as little as possible; especially expensive items like fillers and mouldings, where a couple of items will put them several hundred $ more than the other big box....that they know the HO is shopping also. If a customer insists on big box, the order is between the two of them, I do not put myself in the middle. After more than 30 yrs I have learned that no good deed goes unpunished.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #7

New Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
The HO is not going to be a repeat kitchen cabinet customer on a frequent basis like a contractor with a cabinet supplier. I am not giving a blanket trashing to the big boxes, like I see some guys here do, but cabinets are just one of those products I avoid from there. Problems have been inadequate fillers, and not enough crown for a few things. The big box designers goal is to price the package as inexpensive as possible, so they will order as little as possible; especially expensive items like fillers and mouldings, where a couple of items will put them several hundred $ more than the other big box....that they know the HO is shopping also. If a customer insists on big box, the order is between the two of them, I do not put myself in the middle. After more than 30 yrs I have learned that no good deed goes unpunished.
Customers do not order kitchens I put in, ever. They don't have the skill set to do it. The level of detail it requires is more then they're willing to put in.
I don't think I ever had a customer ask to do it.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
FlyingHammer

Rewards Points: 75

New Cabinets

Before you buy from any big box store, at least talk with a custom cabinet maker. We were planning to buy high-end pre-fab cabinets until we discovered that custom was actually a few bucks cheaper once you figured in all the inserts and filler pieces. And it included installation/trim. It may not be cheaper for all, but it doesn't cost anything to ask.
FlyingHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

New Cabinets

Today my Wife and I went to CDK of Wichita and looked at our kitchen cabinets for our new home build. They priced the entire kitchen, bathrooms, book shelves, and wet bar and it came in right at $10K. They actually are better then some of the nicer cabinets I have seen and I am pleased to say they will be going in our home. They have over 100+ styles, colors and they are custom made to fit your layout. I was amazed at how many features they give you just in the base model cabinets. We upgraded to have hidden slides, soft stop drawers and doors. We are going with cherry wood and a fairly dark stain.
amuffly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Military Mom of 4

New Cabinets

Since I only have a few hundred to do the cabinets in my kitchen with I'm making my own out of scraps and pine.

But they'll look awesome.

Advertisement