New Business Needs Advice. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Business needs advice.

I know this may be a little off topic for a Do it yourself forum but I know a lot of the members here are seasoned experts and have owned and operated their own business for some time now. The question I have for everyone is what are some good cost effective ways of advertising/ drumming up leads.

Advertisement

Handyman4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

First, try
http://www.google.com/search?client=...6&pf=p&pdl=500

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman4Hire View Post
The question I have for everyone is what are some good cost effective ways of advertising/ drumming up leads.

Welcome to my world. Work hard at it now and you will see the dividends down the road. For sure the best kind of advertising comes from referrals from satisfied and repeat customers.

Pick a target area, make some flyers (not too wordy, short and simple) Have the post office for that area send them out. Expect 90% of them to be tossed without having been read. Deliver a quality, honest and fair job and word will spread.

Best of luck...
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Might be helpful if you shared what type of business you hope to drum up? Are you hoping to sell parakeets, hula girl training or just trade services?

Private mail me and for only $990 I will promise to send you my course on how I started a hula girl training school and get a new Lexus or Mercedes every other Tuesday.

Seriously, business starts with a business plan. Doesn't have to be done, and hopefully is not, by a Harvard MBA, but what's up? Any idea what you can make at this business idea of yours and what it may cost? Thought of working with someone in the business for a few years to really learn it?

Last edited by user1007; 02-10-2012 at 08:32 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,320

Starting a business in this economy is going to be tough. I had 2 businesses for many years. Closed one about 6 years ago.The other is down to part time. The public has very little disposable income. People have learned to do without things that they don't absolutely need. You have to be the best at what you do. Good luck.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (02-11-2012), user1007 (02-10-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 712

Concider, plumbing, HVAC or electrical.
Handiman and building is dead right now.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 626

Save your money right now. It is best wait out this Economy. I got out because of the slow down. it is just not worth it right now people will say lets see a list of people you have worked for are you on angies list? Are you a member of the BBB? I will call you when you been around for at least five years etc. It is a dog eat dog world out there. I would love to see you make it just do your market research. cost analysis all that just handing out flyers and cards ain't going to work. I have a retirement I can afford not to work.

Last edited by Nailbags; 02-10-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Nonsense!!!

If you have a good business idea, the best time to start it is when nobody else is even thinking about it. I have worked on my own, because I had too, for most of my life. I have had businesses that worked and some that I had to close because they didn't work out. I never screwed anybody but you know what? This country's health insurance policies nailed me to a cross and stopped me from ever hiring people again. I am WalMart oriented now. 1099 or all employees under 20 hours a week. I love saving a dollar for every $5 added to the public healthcare rolls.

At the end of the day I was proud of the set of cajones I grew trying. And even disabled now, I am nowhere near accepting minimum wages as a gimp greeter with a dressed up oxygen tank.

I will print and hand out bad advice a block away before I compromise and hand out cheap advice and cheap Chinese paint and crap at a Home Depot.

Nothing against the Chinese and they can make nice stuff. We settle for the worst they can produce. And then we squalk.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
jbfan (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #9

Well that is all good and well. Just one thing, are you going to be there and pay that persons bills if they fail? I gave the advice most people don't want to hear the truth! out of 100 handymen that start out how many are still working after the first year? about 10 percent or less. nature of the beast. Even on lean times I had to work for the bigger guy out there to keep food on the table during good times it was great. lean not to good. But I have a good retirement and I am now happy.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #10

Everybody should stop being so pessimistic! If he can get it started during tough times then he will be booming when things get better. And they will get better! They always do
Besides what is he supposed to do? Roll up into a fetal postion and die?

I say Bravo to you for having the gumption to get out there and try!!
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (02-15-2012), DangerMouse (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

If you are starting a handyman business---head to the neighborhoods that cater to the retired or over 50 crowd----consider offering a home tune up special or a honey do package---a block of hours during which you will knock off as many items on their list as possible--

Lots of folks out walking dogs in those neighborhoods---make a box on a spike and fill it with fliers--
put that out by the sidewalk when you are working--

Ask your customers to please tell their friends---

Seek out the management of condo associations---they are always looking for someone to unclog window wells--change light fixtures---fix odds and ends in common areas.
DangerMouse (02-11-2012), Handyman4Hire (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
DIY staff

If you can stand the wait for your money---taking care of rental properties is also a good source of work---

Many houses are used as rentals because the selling market stinks----home owners are out of state and need an 'on call' guy that they trust---Electrical--plumbing---water leaks--clogged up dryer vents---rotting exterior wood--

Contact real estate offices to get an introduction to the homeowners.

Be very firm with your pricing with the real estate people--they will waste your time and drive you broke if you let them---minimum service call charge---a must--look out for the "I need a quote" people--most only want a free quote in order to knock money off the selling price---with no intention of doing any work---

With real estate sales people you must be firm--and may need to charge for quotes---
Old 02-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks oh'mike those are all good ideas. Let me add afew more details. I have been in business for 3 years now have 4 employees and keep a good deal of work coming in. Not looking for start up ideas just want to take my company to the next level. Without more leads and a larger volume of calls its making it hard to do that.
Handyman4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #14

Use lead Gennie sign up with them and they will do all the mass mailings and lead generation for you they will even drive people to you. best of luck.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
DIY staff

A simple web site that ranks high on google is also key--few people use yellow pages any more---a web search is the norm now---

Advertisement