Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Share |

New bulb, old fixture - don't work

Just an FYI;

I just bought a 4-pack of CFL bulbs. When I put the first one into a very old (50+yrs) fixture, it didn't light. Tried the second bulb from the same package, it also did not light.
Re-installed older CFL (60W), it did light.

Tried the new bulbs in another fixture; they light.
I looked at the base of the new bulbs, and found that there is no bevel to the contact. This prevented the bulb from working in the old fixture because that fixture's center tab is worn and pushed down.

I'm wondering if the flat contact is the norm for all standard base bulbs, or is it just this brand (I bought them at Home Depot, so I think they are N-Vision, Nu-Vision, or something like that).

When I get a chance, I'll shut off the power at the breaker and pull that old tab up a bit. I will be changing the fixture soon enough though.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #2

The tab in the bottom of the socket has gotten pushed down over time. All you need to do is unplug the lamp or light and pull up the tab so it's off the bottom. When you replace the bulb, turn the light on and screw in the bulb. After it lights up, turn it a bit more. The tab gets shoved to the bottom when you tighten it too much.
Another issue is that some of these cfl's have flat shoulders on the sides and it keeps the contact off the tab, even ones that aren't bottomed out.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
Metalman

I had a problem with a CFL stoplight the wouldn't screw in far enough to make contact because the transformer case was too large to clear the outer shell of the outdoor socket. I soldered a spacer to the bottom contact of the bulb and that fixed it. When I had to replace the bulb again, The manufacturer had changed the size of the case so it would fit. I don't know the brands in either case but both were purchased at Home Depot.
Metalman

Last edited by dave1123; 08-25-2010 at 01:45 AM.
dave1123 is offline   Reply With Quote