Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #1

Share |

New bathroom advice urgently needed

Hi,

Hope someone can advise/help. I recently bought a 3 bedrrom apartment which had people renting in it for over 30 years, as you can imagine the best of care hasnt been taken with it.

the bathroom had some of the following problems:
an exposed 80litre tank mounted to the wall (way too big for the room size)
a bath that had been gloss painted on the inside (now removed)
original tiling mounted onto 3/4" cement poking out from walls (half channelled)

I need to turn this into a glorious bathroom before my girlfriend has a breakdown, we have selected a villeroy & boch futurion shower with the glass wall and sunken basin.

My question is what type of electric boiler would I need to feed this with enough hot water and good pressure, it was suggested to move the 80Ltr tanl to the cave (cellar) below and feed the piping up through the floors and into the room though this drew some questions on pressure.

The favoured or most suggested solution is an on-demand boiler, which although more expensive to run would make life easier and quicker to get to a point where we can use it.

We are already living there and using a temporary bathroom for the moment, the tiling for the hallway, kitchen and toilet/temp bathroom will be done in the next week, after which a under floor solution would be unsuitable and very very expensive.

I have seen a boiler by AEG which reports to produce 12 litres of hot water per minute, would this be enough to feed a shower comfortably.

thanks in advance for any replies.
ed

EddieLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #2

Not sure about Europe, but here in the US tankless water heaters are the way to go. They are much cheaper to run, you never run out of hot water and the pressure is as good or better than the old tank standards.

Do a Google search on tankless water heaters and I'm sure you will find some good suggestions.

tacticle_blunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #3

Eddie, I don't know how much help you will get. I don't know of too many heating guys familiar with European heating units.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #4

It's my understanding, although I'm not an expert, that Europe embraced tankless water heaters a while ago, especially vs. the US. Check with some local plumbers.
Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #5

Last time I suggested a new girl (fiend) over a bath redo my computer crashed after an up tight responce to my attempt at humor.

so, Hire the best contractor you can..pay him in advance and take your wonderful lady on a long trip. Don't bring her home until the bath is complete. Ask the contractor to leave the 5 carat diamond engagement ring on to of the privy seat so she will find it upon your return.

best of luck mate.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote