DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

new asphalt driveway

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mburgess44 
#1 ·
Okay,

So I am going to have my gravel driveway paved soon and had a few questions. I apologize if any of these sound stupid and they will. I have been using these forums for a while but couldn't find much on driveways.

I am going to extend one area of my driveway but will need to do some grading and install a retainer wall.

What type of material is best for a retainer wall? Should I use poured concrete or segmented blocks.

Should I wait until after or before it is paved to put in the wall.

I currently have a concrete slab under a metal carport but I am thinking about just paving over it and making everything uniform with my extension. Is this advisable?

#2 ·
If the wall is butting up against the asphalt, it will be much easier to install the wall prior to paving. The paving contractor can install the asphalt right up to the wall. If you wait until after the paving is finished, you will need to saw-cut the asphalt (or have a gap between the asphalt and the wall), and excavate to install sub-base for the wall, and it won't be as tight a fit. Even if the wall isn't abutting the asphalt, you're probably better off installing the wall first- less chance of dirtying-up or damaging the new driveway.

I would recommend the segmented blocks; there are a lot of different products to choose from. Make sure to follow manufacturer installation directions, especially for maximum height.

You can pave over concrete if the concrete isn't badly cracked. Consider the finished height of the asphalt over top of the concrete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.