Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

new asphalt driveway

Okay,

So I am going to have my gravel driveway paved soon and had a few questions. I apologize if any of these sound stupid and they will. I have been using these forums for a while but couldn't find much on driveways.

I am going to extend one area of my driveway but will need to do some grading and install a retainer wall.

What type of material is best for a retainer wall? Should I use poured concrete or segmented blocks.

Should I wait until after or before it is paved to put in the wall.

I currently have a concrete slab under a metal carport but I am thinking about just paving over it and making everything uniform with my extension. Is this advisable?

mburgess44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

new asphalt driveway

If the wall is butting up against the asphalt, it will be much easier to install the wall prior to paving. The paving contractor can install the asphalt right up to the wall. If you wait until after the paving is finished, you will need to saw-cut the asphalt (or have a gap between the asphalt and the wall), and excavate to install sub-base for the wall, and it won't be as tight a fit. Even if the wall isn't abutting the asphalt, you're probably better off installing the wall first- less chance of dirtying-up or damaging the new driveway.

I would recommend the segmented blocks; there are a lot of different products to choose from. Make sure to follow manufacturer installation directions, especially for maximum height.

You can pave over concrete if the concrete isn't badly cracked. Consider the finished height of the asphalt over top of the concrete.

GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

new asphalt driveway

Thanks for your help... I need to do some grading and then after I will put up the wall... I am going to do some reading and videos on installing a retainer wall...
mburgess44 is offline   Reply With Quote