Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
I have gas!

Share |

Negotiating with lumberyard

I've got a relatively large order for a lumber yard ($4100). Is it possible to negotiate or do you find that that is the price? Just wondering if I'll be wasting my time trying to knock a few hundred bucks off.
TIA

Old 07-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #2

I think it'll depend on the yard... if it's places that are part of a chain, then likely not. But smaller "mom and pop" places are likely to negotiate, but probably not much room to move with all the large box stores pushing the margins down.

slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #3

If you can order in packaging lots, you may get a discount. If you order 4 of these 6 of those, probably not. It is certainly worth a try, though.

Edit- Also your conception of "large" is probably different than theirs. A 4000 dollar order to me is not large.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
I have gas!

The biggest component of my list is largely for Hardiplank siding, 470 pcs @$6.86, the rest are the PVC materials for the water table and cornerboards, colored caulk, and touchup paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Edit- Also your conception of "large" is probably different than theirs. A 4000 dollar order to me is not large.
I thought of that, when I proofread I added the word relatively, I figured this is probably a weekend job size order for most contractors. To me and probably to most DIY homeowners, this is a relatively large order.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 07-19-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Honestly, it's hard for a DIYer or Home owner to approach and get discounts.

Contractors get them because the stores and suppliers are pursuing the repeat business.

They are out to try and supply all our materials for all our jobs...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
The biggest component of my list is largely for Hardiplank siding, 470 pcs @$6.86, the rest are the PVC materials for the water table and cornerboards, colored caulk, and touchup paint.

I thought of that, when I proofread I added the word relatively, I figured this is probably a weekend job size order for most contractors. To me and probably to most DIY homeowners, this is a relatively large order.
Just remembered:
Clutch, you are in my neck of the woods. (currently doing jobs in Dedham, Lawrence, Acton, Lincoln, Marlborough, Bedford, Billerica, etc...)

PM me, I might be able to pull some strings with this and help you out...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
remodeling pro

My guess is not. In reality, this may seem like a large order to you, but to lumber yards used to selling materials in quantities for framing entire houses ot multi-unit buildings, this is not an order that is going to get them to jump through any hoops, even more so, since it is most likely a one time customer. But there is nothing to loose by asking. If you could show them another quote on the same materials that was a little cheaper, perhaps they would be willing to beat it by a few dollars to make the sale, but don't get your hopes too high.Good luck.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 07-24-2007 at 09:23 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #8

I called everyone lumberyard within 80 miles of my house when I purchased my TREX decking for my 600+ Sq Ft deck. I found the cheapest place per linear foot of trex and they were wiling to knock off 15 cents per linear foot if I paid in cash. I was really surprised when I asked if they delivered(about 35 miles through a metropolitan area) and they said "yeah, its free!". Ended up being 30% cheaper than big name stores such as lowes.

tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote