Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #1

Share |

In need of sound advice

How is everyone tonight? My name is Joan and I will finally live out my dream & move south. I am planning to purchase a mobile home. Should I consider taking on the the task of remodeling or am I better spending my money on a lightly used, fixed budget and a single woman.
Next question am I better off purchasing one in an all aged park or age limited one?
Love kids have 3 of my own & 3 grands I necessarily don't dig other peoples.
Sorry I am not out to insult anyone, very eager to plan for success, happiness & much needed peace.
I do need a secluded lot that I can have an awesome garden. I treasure my outside time & wellness routine.
I have learned that models built after 1997 have updated electric that meets new codes. Any other input and info would be very welcomed.
Thank you!

joaniegirlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #2

In need of sound advice

Not sure what you budget is but I sure would concider buying a real house instead of a mobil home.
Keep in mind I've lived in 3, differant mobil homes while up in NH, and now live in VA. So I'm not trying to put down mobil homes in general.

#1 The mobil homes I've looked at and worked on since I've moved here are junk. Nothing like the ones I owned in NH.
Partical board floors, if there's vinyl siding or shingles on the roof there stapled on not nailed.
I've seen 3/8 plywood on the roofs with no tar paper, just what looked like kraft paper.
One I worked on had 1X for wall studs, no sheetrock behind the paneling and 2 X 2's for outside studs.

Not sure what area where you planing on moving to but right now there's some real deals to be had on homes in VA.
I see them all the time for around $75,000 and even less that would need some work. Then you would have something that will go up in value, worth spending money on to fix up, and have your own land that no one can tell you what you can and can not do with it.
We have one with 3 bedrooms, 1-1/2 baths, all hardwood floors, fireplace with insert, all new wiring and HVAC. Just gutted and redid both bathroom, new replacement windows, huge front and back yard that at one time was a 50' X 50' garden for $140,000.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #3

In need of sound advice

Where are you moving to and are you locked in on living in a mobile home park?

Down here in Ga, most of the parks that I have worked in are not the greatest places to live. Also, like posted above, these things are poorly constructed.

We have houses that sold a few years ago for $60k-$100k selling now for less than half that.
spotco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #4

In need of sound advice

Thank you so much; Joe I lived in NH for one semester of college that is where my middle son lives (he is in the Navy) OMG it is freezing! This is why south, I crave the sun. As far as a mobile I have been very torn between a home (mostly a foreclosure). I like the idea of a pool, but not the responsibility. I will purchase & own out right giving me the capability to bounce easily if I choose.
Love VA mostly watching the dolphins in the am & pm but still to cold.

Spotco2; I have considered GA also and it seems the decent places to live are far from the ocean and I do have the need to be within 20 minutes to get there. I will look carefully at each place a couple of days before deciding.
I am 47 and I have found parks 45 & up. But if my grandson comes for a few months to stay I don't want to be limited (he is 1 & half).
My target area is Tampa/Clearwater, I did live in Coral springs & it was to populated for me. New Port Richey has caught my attention also.
I have been watching the market for the past 5 years every day & I do know I really want to keep things simple.
Sink holes also have me concerned.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Tool Geek

In need of sound advice

Hi Joan, Nice Intrduction, Welcome to the Forum
It is a good idea to include your location in your profile.
Also check out how to Post pictures in the How To section.

To add your location to your profile see more How-To
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Special User

In need of sound advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaniegirlj View Post
I am planning to purchase a mobile home.

I do need a secluded lot that I can have an awesome garden.
Maybe the South has different trailer parks that what I've seen out here in the West? The ones I see here have tiny lots, tightly spaced, with no yard to speak of. To get a secluded spot for gardening, it seems like a traditional house is probably going to be the only option. On the upside, with the struggling real estate market there should be plenty of houses for sale.

Quote:
it seems the decent places to live are far from the ocean and I do have the need to be within 20 minutes to get there.
I dunno, but I suspect it will be hard to find many mobile home lots within 20 minutes of the ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Partical board floors,
Why is that bad? My 1971 construction 1,700sqft ranch house has particle board between the finish flooring and the tongue-and-groove subfloor.

Unless you mean there's only particle board directly over the joists... then yeah, that would suck!
tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #7

In need of sound advice

How far South are you thinking? Florida? Since the space shuttle program ended, lots and lots of homes and condos have flooded the market. As a result, some can be had for next to nothing (think $15,000, sometimes even less). My wife and I checked into buying something there as a winter place, but ended up getting another RV instead.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
STAFF

In need of sound advice

I wouldn't want to live in a mobile home in Fla, hurricanes and tornadoes don't like trailer homes. As cheap as homes are now, that would be the way I would go. Trailers may be cheap but there is a good reason for that.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
joaniegirlj (11-30-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #9

In need of sound advice

I dunno, but I suspect it will be hard to find many mobile home lots within 20 minutes of the ocean.

Yes the parks are fairly close to the water.

Why is that bad? My 1971 construction 1,700sqft ranch house has particle board between the finish flooring and the tongue-and-groove subfloor.

Not sure what your asking?
Unless you mean there's only particle board directly over the joists... then yeah, that would suck![/quote]

And it seems the senior living parks have more space including the golfing parks,
and I don't golf & have no yearning to learn
Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #10

In need of sound advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I wouldn't want to live in a mobile home in Fla, hurricanes and tornadoes don't like trailer homes. As cheap as homes are now, that would be the way I would go. Trailers may be cheap but there is a good reason for that.

I used to sell cars & I am hoping there is gap insurance. I look at a stick built if it gets flooded what position did I put myself in & have to clean & reconstruct. My thoughts on the trailer ; It blows away get a new one. I may be very foolish I don't know.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #11

In need of sound advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
How far South are you thinking? Florida? Since the space shuttle program ended, lots and lots of homes and condos have flooded the market. As a result, some can be had for next to nothing (think $15,000, sometimes even less). My wife and I checked into buying something there as a winter place, but ended up getting another RV instead.
I know I am having a big struggle with this. Chinese mold, sink holes, plumbing & roof problems. You & your wife must love each other very much to do the RV thing. Enjoy & safe travels!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #12

In need of sound advice

If you would consider something not so far south, you might find Myrtle Beach, SC a great place to live.

Good year round temps, and you can get a place close enough to the beach for very reasonable prices. There's still a lot of bank owned houses that are going for low dollars per square foot, and close enough that you can use a golf cart to run down to the beach.

Live there as a resident and your property taxes are discounted a lot (even more when you reach retirement age).

Tons to do, and a good climate.

Best parts in my opinion are Surfside, Garden City, and North Myrtle.

FWIW: Food insurance is cheap.....
ktkelly is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ktkelly For This Useful Post:
joaniegirlj (11-29-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #13

In need of sound advice

I just read the original question and kinda glanced through the rest of the answers.
Forgive me if I missed anything, here is my advice.

Nothing wrong with a mobile home, but I do not suggest remodeling one.
Mobile home construction is just a whole different set of rules.
They do build them to different rules then standard homes, Any time you want or need something done, will cost you more for parts and labor to have it done right.
If you need a new front door, will be stuck buying the door from a mobile home supplier for more money then a regular sized door. go with a real door and more labor to make it work.
Need a new tub? irregular sizes and back to the dealer ... buy a plastic tub for same price you can buy a real tub.

Remodeling a mobile home will eat all your savings, when done you have nothing to show for it.
But you can shop around and find one in good shape, something you can be satisfied with as is, just take care of repairs and maintenance as you go.
I live in a mobile home park, is a really nice little community, easy small yard to take care of ... simple living and very cheap compared to owning a house.

Story of my mobile home, a single woman like yourself bought this trailer and was in good shape. Needed to be moved so she hired movers and moved it to this park, she had to buy new tires and wheels and the movers stole them ... was weeks before she knew.
She hired a guy to remodel it and totally gutted a 3 bedroom mobile home, she had all new wiring installed and plumbing, replaced all the windows, put solid 3/4" cdx over the top of the already good 5/8" cdx, had a new bathroom built .... she ran out of money.
No kitchen, no heating system, she put several grand into it and finally had to walk away, was a sad story ... she moved to Texas to live with her daughter, was such a mess nobody would buy it, she was going to give the title to the park managers and asked if I would give her $500 for it.

If you can do the work yourself, fine .... hiring people to remodel a trailer will cost a fortune.
joaniegirlj (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #14

In need of sound advice

Thank you so much I needed to here this. My thoughts are with the right park & decent lot rent it rolls a few bills in one. I can keep to myself & join in at the pool. If you don't mind me asking do you live in an all age or age restricted? I am kinda looking towards the 40+, my thoughts are a bit more peace & more homes with curb appeal. At the same time I want my little prince (my grandson) to be able to stay with me for a long stretch. Any advice?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #15

In need of sound advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaniegirlj View Post
Thank you so much I needed to here this. My thoughts are with the right park & decent lot rent it rolls a few bills in one. I can keep to myself & join in at the pool. If you don't mind me asking do you live in an all age or age restricted? I am kinda looking towards the 40+, my thoughts are a bit more peace & more homes with curb appeal. At the same time I want my little prince (my grandson) to be able to stay with me for a long stretch. Any advice?
I've never seen an age-restricted park that was 40+. All I've ever seen were 55+. But then, there aren't many trailer parks where I live.

My wife and I really do enjoy RVing. When I retired early in 2008 we even went full time for a while, traveling the country and volunteering at Habitat for Humanity home builds. Then we returned to WV, set the rig up on some property we owned, and lived in it for over two years while she and I built our log home by ourselves.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-29-2012), joaniegirlj (11-29-2012)