Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Need some QUICK tile help!!

We are finishing a bathroom in our basement and I was getting anxious to tile the shower walls tomorrow, but then I had a moment of uncertainty and thought I better get some opinions before I created a headache due to impatience!!

The ceiling in the shower is just mold resistant drywall, and right now its unfinished- the drywaller won't be coming for another couple of weeks- so my question is should I wait until the drywall ceiling is finished to do the tile in the shower walls or doesn't it matter? If I can do the shower walls before the ceiling is finished do I lay tile all the way to the ceiling leaving only a grout line space at the meeting of the wall and ceiling and use caulking instead of grout.

Thanks in advance for your help!

DTproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Too Old

If the drywall is not finished you need to wait, you need to put the tile on after the drywall is finished.
1. you will get a better finish on the drywall
2. you will not have to worry about damaging the tile.
3. You may upset the drywall person and not get a good job.

havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #3

I tend to disagree slightly only because I primed and textured my ceiling after I put the tile up. If you do have any butt seams or factory tapered joints where the tile is then I would tend to wait but if you have nice full section in then there is really minimal finsihing anyway. Just leave a small gap at the top like around 1/8-1/4 inch to silicone the gap with the ceiling. If you have it all properly ventilated you should have little to worry about anyway if moisture control is any issue. Make sure you use good primer on the sheetrock as well. you can check my bathroom out that I did in the pic below. Mine turned out good I think.
Attached Images

ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan5068 For This Useful Post:
DTproject (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
Stay-at-home GC

Unless you need the use of the shower I would wait

If there are any seams, you'll create trouble for the finisher. If the tile is in ahead of time, you are just risking damage.

Alternatively you could tile all the way up to your last course, cut those to fit and set them aside. Number them 1 to whatever on the backs.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CplDevilDog For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
DIY staff

The wall to ceiling seam needs to be taped before tiling---do it yourself--or wait.--Mike--
Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

my suggestion & take it for what it's worth, is just to keep tiling & do the ceiling as well i have done several, some with a different tile to accent, couple just kept going with the same tile as the wall
nice way to finish off a shower, and you never get the mold crap that sometimes developes on dry wall in a shower
bob
bobfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #7

Thanks for all the quick responses.

I think I will wait..... for now anyway but if hanging the rest of the drywall takes my hubby longer than 2 weeks I don't know that I can wait much longer than that! I've got a timeline in my head and I can shift a few projects around for awhile to avoid the tiling job, but I just want to be prepared with options in case the time comes that I need to get it done.

If I was to set the tile and not grout would that make things any easier?

Someone mentioned leaving the top row of tiles off- anyone think that is a good or bad idea? At least I would have the bulk of it done.

How long can you wait in-between laying tile and grouting? The shower will NOT be in use obviously but is there are problem leaving tile ungrouted for extended period of time. The drywall dust will be settling in the grout lines, but I could vac that out before grouting.

Thanks again!

DTproject is offline   Reply With Quote