Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Need Sanity Check on Design/Plan cost

I am embarking on a medium renovation - small kitchen redo - possible nonsupporting wall removal to expand kitchen space. Repositioning stairs to basement and creating a bedroom in our finished basement.

I have been in contact with a company that is going to charge me $5,000 to work with me to put together 3 design concepts, including all finishes for the kitchen/basement, plans/drawings and permits. I am hoping to do all of the renovations for under 50K .... does this plan/design cost seem in line??? or am I being gouged? They have the plans drawn up by a draughtsman not an architect.

satie37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hello and welcome satie37, to the best DIY'r site on the web.

Cost is all realitive, materials and difficulty are big factors. 5K to have plans drawn up by a fellow who loves beer draftsman vrs draughtsman, I know a little humor and pull permits, I would hope that includes a scope of work as well, sounds alright I guess.

But 50K for a kitchen redo and bedroom sounds like its on the high side.

Mark

Old 10-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,206

Can not really tell you, due to there are no metrics to go by, and everyone's situation is going to be different. $5,000 does sound low for the initial work, unless the person you are working with goes by 10% of the cost to do the work. As for $50k, really depends on cost of materials at that time, cost for labor, etc.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You don't mention the size of the kitchen, the cabinets or finishes you chose and you want to know if it's too much?
You need to educate yourself and not be asking whether it's too much.
If you're not willing to spend the time, you'll end up being screwed every time.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-21-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #5

The $5000 is for this building company to come in and work with me to decide on all of the finishings from top to bottom to put together three design layouts for the Reno and to give me quotes for each. They will also measure and create detailed architecture plans and get the permits to do the work. So at the end of my $5000 what I have is a detailed design plan that I can take to a contractor and get a hopefully accurate quote for the job.
It completes the planning phase for the project.

As for the cost of the project itself I have no idea at this point. I was only guessing at 50k. I just wanted a sanity check on paying the 5k for planning as I have not embarked on this type of project before. This one will involve a stair move I think and possibly knocking out some walls. Our kitchen is small 10x10 and I want to remove a hallway wall to expand the kitchen space anyhow and this will likely change the way we access our basement and backyard. I am relying on this planning process to come up with some cost effective ideas
Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #6

The $5000 is for this building company to come in and work with me to decide on all of the finishings from top to bottom to put together three design layouts for the Reno and to give me quotes for each. They will also measure and create detailed architecture plans and get the permits to do the work. So at the end of my $5000 what I have is a detailed design plan that I can take to a contractor and get a hopefully accurate quote for the job.
It completes the planning phase for the project.

As for the cost of the project itself I have no idea at this point. I was only guessing at 50k. I just wanted a sanity check on paying the 5k for planning as I have not embarked on this type of project before. This one will involve a stair move I think and possibly knocking out some walls. Our kitchen is small 10x10 and I want to remove a hallway wall to expand the kitchen space anyhow and this will likely change the way we access our basement and backyard. I am relying on this planning process to come up with some cost effective ideas
Old 10-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Post some floor plans and pictures of the current. Then when it comes time for decision on finishes and you can not decide, you can pick all of our brains to use another third party (all of the board users) to vote. I do not mind seeing these projects, due to it gives the rest of us ideas.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #8

Smile

I'm an architect that specializes in residential repos/additions. Your project sounds neat and you can really benefit from good advice in the form of prelim plans & options thru sound tech advice on codes and costs. It's all about time.. Measuring & drawing an existing house can take 3 to 5 days of manpower if you want accuracy. You could easily have that much more time in designing prelims with options including costs. Moving stairs & walls involves serious professional structural design & investigation. Then figure a couple weeks to produce permit/bid/build docs & you're looking at maybe 75-100 man hours. I charge $50/hr so your cost is OK....... If you end up with final bid/permit docs that you keep & can use to get maybe 3 competitive bids. Completion can easily save you the $5000 and pay for the design fee. (Sorry for loooong answer.) Good luck!
arkitek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for responding and making me feel better about spending this money up front for the plan. I always like to have a clear plan before going into any project - I find that making decisions up front does same time and money. I will be happy to share my experience with all of you and the design ideas too. I am having Bravehart Building & Design do the planning phase. They seem to get good reviews .... I have heard some contractor nightmare stories from neighbours and friends so want to ensure I do not get embroiled in anything like that!!
The Following User Says Thank You to satie37 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-22-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Also, buying something like Punch, you can sit down and draw out some plans, if you want to see what it would look like in 3d. Plus allows you to say "this is what I would like to see, what can you do for me." Also keep in mind, that with technology, are you going to incorporate stuff like internet in the space, for something like tv or computer, etc.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #11

@satie37: A websearch shows you've picked a great company with great reviews. You're off to a good start!

arkitek1 is offline   Reply With Quote