Need To Repair 3/4" Subfloor - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Need to repair 3/4" subfloor

bought repo with urine damage in osb subflooring. i treated most of it with enzyme product to rid house of urine smell, however there are about 4 osb boards that need to be cut out and removed, the are warped and swollen and not suitable to install naildown hardwood flooring. What is the proper procedure to replace with new osb to prevent sagging since there will be no tongue and groove where the new boards meet the old boards. I am pretty sure there is no flooring below the osb. This house was built in 2000 if that helps at all. Thanks for your help in advance.... Dephipps

Advertisement

dephipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
HandyMan Engineer

Rewards Points: 25

I never had to deal with a full sheet, but what I used to repair a 4x2 hole from a bunch of ducting I relocated after removing a wall, was use my skill saw set to the appropiate thickness of the existing sub floor (even a bit 32nd shy to avoid hitting the joists). Cut it into a bunch of smaller pieces rather than taking out several larger peices especially if its glued (the extra cutting time is more than made up in the removal time). On two sides the hole open on half a joist. Once you have the hole, have cleaned all the joists and have a peice cut to fit, I installed 8"x17" (~space between joists) pieces of subfloor under the existing subfloor between the joists and glued and screwed them with 4" sticking out. Then I glued and screwed the patch.

This worked well, but might be overkill. Been 6 months now and no squeaks or play yet.

Have fun.

Advertisement

sendres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #3

thanks sendres,

These are several 4x8 boards that need to be removed. some are adjoining so the area is kinda big.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 518

Use a circular saw like recomended and a sawzall if the circ can't get close enough to the wall. To replace sheets cut, glue, and screw them in place. Where they meet the existing sheets use a 2x6 screwed to the existing sheets, new sheets, and joist. this will stifgin up those seems
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #5

thats exactly what i needed to know. thanks