DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need ideas for built in bookcase

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Leah Frances 
#1 ·

I have a space next to my fireplace 56'' wide x 9'8'' that I want to build some built in bookcases. The depth of the opening is 17.5 inches.
Here's a link to something similar that I am thinking of http://thebestcabinets.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=851&fullsize=1 Basically shallow depth cabinets on the bottom (@ 20'' deep) with some shelves on top.

I would like to assemble rather than build from scratch (I do not have experience or room for cabinet building).

Would LOVE any ideas of where to shop and how to make it look NICE.

Peace
LFW

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for posting the link - I actually was following the thread (but shockingly, keeping my comments to myself).

I need full depth for the bottom cabinets, as DH intends to put stereo equipment in them, at least 20 inches. And yes, I will properly vent it.

#4 ·
I don't understand this, "I would like to assemble rather than build from scratch" You can't do one without the other. The unit will be in 3 pieces. The base for hubby and 2 open cases for the top. The base unit would be 1" narrower then the opening width. The height would be dictated by the molding scenario you wanted. The open shelves would be each 1/2" narrower.
You would need to detail the plan and cut the pieces. Assembly would need to be done first. To make up the space for the wall clearance, you would make up a face frame that could be scribed to the walls irregularities.
Look at units in magazines to get a sense of design.
Ron

#5 ·
I don't understand this, "I would like to assemble rather than build from scratch" You can't do one without the other. The unit will be in 3 pieces. The base for hubby and 2 open cases for the top.

Ron
Sure I can. You even stated, verbatim, how I can. I will clarify my first statement - I want to assemble it out of a base and two open cases. I figure I can order these items and trim them together to look really nice.

I do not want to build a base cabinet and build bookcases - I am sure a cabinetry shop can do a way better/faster/more economical job than I am capable of doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.