Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with porch floor

I have a front porch that has a floor made of treated 2 x 6's. The 2 x 6's are showing their age and some need to be replaced.The porch is 6' x 36'. The 2 x 6's run lengthwise (parallel to the front of the house). I would like to put tongue & groove porch flooring down over the 2 x 6's and run it perpendicular to the 2 x 6's. So, they would be 6' long each. My concern with wood T & G porch flooring is maintenance. I had it on another house and hated it because it needed painted so often. I have seen a few places that sell PVC porch flooring and wondered if anyone here has any input, good or bad, about that. Also, since I am a woodworker, I am thinking of buying some redwood and putting my own T & G in it and using that. Any input on this idea would also be welcomed. I think my concerns about either PVC or redwood is it shrinking and growning with the change of temperature. I live in South Carolina and we can get 100 deg and humid in the summer and as cold as the teens (single digits happen but are rare) in the winter. Also, would redwood splinter? I have considered concrete with a brick border but they have to jack up the roof to remove the 2 x 6's, then weld a tray in, and it sounds really expensive. I think wood would look much nicer and I can do it myself. But I am not sure if this is the right application for redwood and I don't have enough information about PVC. The objective is to seal the floor so I can hose it off without having water go into the crawl space. Maybe another idea is to buy TREX or the like, rip off the radiused side, and put T & G in it? Help.

Last edited by budedm; 11-28-2010 at 03:48 PM.
budedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I put in a doug fir 5/4" T&G porch about 15 years ago. It's covered and faces South. It was primed on all sides before installation and top coated with a Benjamin Moore porch paint. Other then an issue with salt at the porch edge, the paint has held up fine.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #3

Why would the PT framing be showing age??? It is quaranteed for 40 yrs above grade, 20 yrs with ground contact. Most of the manmade floors have support requirements, what is the joist spacing?? 16" OC is usually OK. Any real wood product will require maintenace(some a lot), manmade not so much.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #4

The grain is opening up pretty wide on the outer two boards near the steps. It's not because of foot traffic because nobody uses the front entrance. But I still need to seal the floor so no air gets to the crawl space. The floor is 23 years old.

I am sealing everything up (crawl space house) as in Dry-Pro. Right now there is no curtain wall behind the porch, so the spaces in the PT floor allow air under the house. And in the south this is bad. I know there's arguments out there for and against sealing up a crawl space but I am on the sealing up side. So, that's why I need to seal the porch floor. In essence, the crawl space becomes a conditioned room. Kind of like part of the house. I'd rather build a curtain wall behind the porch, in line with the house, but because the furnace is in the crawl space and the cold air return comes in from under the porch, I can't put a wall in. So, that's why I'm looking at sealing the porch floor. It seems to be the only thing I can do to solve the air flow problem.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #5

Timbersil might be your best bet for this application as it is very durable, but retains the look of wood.
timbere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by budedm View Post
The grain is opening up pretty wide on the outer two boards near the steps. It's not because of foot traffic because nobody uses the front entrance. But I still need to seal the floor so no air gets to the crawl space. The floor is 23 years old.

I am sealing everything up (crawl space house) as in Dry-Pro. Right now there is no curtain wall behind the porch, so the spaces in the PT floor allow air under the house. And in the south this is bad. I know there's arguments out there for and against sealing up a crawl space but I am on the sealing up side. So, that's why I need to seal the porch floor. In essence, the crawl space becomes a conditioned room. Kind of like part of the house. I'd rather build a curtain wall behind the porch, in line with the house, but because the furnace is in the crawl space and the cold air return comes in from under the porch, I can't put a wall in. So, that's why I'm looking at sealing the porch floor. It seems to be the only thing I can do to solve the air flow problem.
It will take considerably more to seal an air flow issue then sealing 2 porch deck boards.
I also don't understand how fixing these 2 boards turns this space into a, "conditioned" space. In my mind the space needs to be insulated with a vapor barrier and heated to be called a conditioned space.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #7

There's more than 2 boards. The entire 6' x 36' porch is done with 2 x 6 PT, just like a deck. So, I have about 13 cracks that are 1/4" wide and 36' long. That's a lot of air. So, anyway, once that is done, I will seal off all the foundation vents, then run a heavy white liner, more like a swimming pool liner, all across the floor and up the crawl space walls to within a few inches of the floor joists. The entire crawl space is closed off. Then I will bring in a PVC air line to the furnace for air, and put a dehumidifier in the CS as an extra measure of safety. Here's a website that can explain it better than me. But basically, I can't obtain the goal of a sealed crawl space as long as I have a porch floor that is wide open to the crawl space. Oh, one more thing: The floor is still insulated but the crawl space walls are not. So, it is not exactly the same as the house above as far as temperature etc. Any excess heat or a/c from the house that leaks down into the CS is what is doing the conditioning. It is good enough and surely not worth insulating the CS walls since I will not be heating or a/c'ing the CS directly.

http://www.moistureloc.com/wet_crawl.html

Last edited by budedm; 11-29-2010 at 02:03 PM.