DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need Help With a Painted Cedar Room

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
Hi and thanks in advance for any help.

I have a large family room that's about 50 years old. The walls are 4" cedar planks with about a 1" gap in between each. The planks have a heavy wood texture, like planed but unsanded planks. At some point, this room was painted with a high-gloss latex paint. As you might guess, it's not a pretty sight.

I have no experience hanging drywall, nor can I afford to pay someone to do it, so I need to figure this project out for myself. I'm wondering if I can use joint compound to fill the 1" gaps, then more joint compound to smooth out the texture of the planks. Then go back and prime and paint the whole thing.

Will this work, or is there a better way to tackle this? Also, any recommendations on products to use would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi and thanks in advance for any help.

I have a large family room that's about 50 years old. The walls are 4" cedar planks with about a 1" gap in between each. The planks have a heavy wood texture, like planed but unsanded planks. At some point, this room was painted with a high-gloss latex paint. As you might guess, it's not a pretty sight.

I have no experience hanging drywall, nor can I afford to pay someone to do it, so I need to figure this project out for myself. I'm wondering if I can use joint compound to fill the 1" gaps, then more joint compound to smooth out the texture of the planks. Then go back and prime and paint the whole thing.

Will this work, or is there a better way to tackle this? Also, any recommendations on products to use would be greatly appreciated.
You can't fill in 1" gaps with compound and expect it to look good. You can cover the gaps and get the board and batten look. You can sand the cedar to smooth it over. You can fill in the gaps, with a 1x1" filler to have only small seams, but you won't get a seamless wall. You couldn't caulk the small seams as it's doubtful it would look too good.
What is between the 1" gap now? Is it a wall? Maybe you could just remove the boards.
Post a picture.
Ron

#3 ·
Thanks Ron. When you say I could fill the gaps with a 1" x 1" filler, what do you mean by that? Sorry, but I'm pretty inexperienced so I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what the planks are nailed to (or therefore what the space in between the planks is), so I'm afraid to tear it down for fear that I might be creating a situation that costs a lot to repair.

#6 ·
Thanks Ron. When you say I could fill the gaps with a 1" x 1" filler, what do you mean by that? Sorry, but I'm pretty inexperienced so I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what the planks are nailed to (or therefore what the space in between the planks is), so I'm afraid to tear it down for fear that I might be creating a situation that costs a lot to repair.
The best way to get some insight as to a solution would be to post a picture of the wall.
Ron

#4 · (Edited)
I could not imagine trying to apply/smooth out a rough sawn piece of cedar with compound. Do not attempt.

Best bet is to tear down and drywall. However, an idea would be to utilize paneling. I have a small office in the house that has paneling, spruced up with chair rail and other decorative molding. It was stained to give it a look of a ncie "den". I painted it to turn it into the kids playroom and it looks good. NOTE: The paneling was applied on top of a smooth wall surface, seams matched well etc..

I will poke around and see if I have pics of the room just to give you an idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.