Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with mystery oil residue

I moved into a building a year ago now that was once an old auto body shop. Since i've moved in i've found yello stains on the floor, on my dining table, on the kitchen counter. I thought the issue might go away eventually but it seems to only be getting worse. The substance is a yellow, watery liquid with a fowl smell. When it dries it crinkles. I've had a home inspector, real estate agent and other handy men by to see if they could possibly shed some light but everyone is scratching their heads.

The strange thing is, i've never actually seen the liquid come out of the walls or ceiling. It just appears and happens about 2-3 times a week. It must squirt out at times as it leaves a splatter on things around it. I'm at a loss, if anyone can please help i'd appreciate it

Propeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 564

Get rid of your cat.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

I don't have THE answer for sure. But I would suggest-If you have not done this-to see if there is a pattern as to the direction this may be coming from, and do a thorough search for any type of piping up in the ceiling which may have a leak. Does this material seem to be an oil/water mixture when fresh? Are there any unused overhead compressed air lines which may be dripping from an older joint? This sounds a bit like the water/oil that condenses within older auto shop air lines. I'm wondering if there is a section left that's dripping this stuff. IF you find some that is fresh, lay a paper towel on it carefully so as not to spread it. Let the material soak into it. Pick the towel up carefully and hang by the corners, if possible. If the material seems to dry fairly fast, then it could be solvent or water based. If it dries slowly it probably is oil based. You've got to find the source. Keep us posted, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote