Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need help on installing vent chimney.

Stupid slanted ceiling I have the vent up and everything works but since there is a cathedral ceiling I had to hack away at some of the rafters to get it all the way up so it looks right but now I can't figure out how to attach it up there so it stays and what should I do to fix the border? I'd prefer not to have trim around it since I've never seen that and it might look odd. I can easily patch the ceiling I guess so the hard part it figuring out how to attach the chimney so it stays up and looks right. Thoughts?

edit: those are not clouds (we've had some people ask that). There were soffits there that I removed and that's the patched wall, I'm waiting to get the vent up before finishing. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Need help on installing vent chimney.-2013-10-21-07.41.26.jpg   Need help on installing vent chimney.-2013-10-21-07.41.33.jpg   Need help on installing vent chimney.-2013-10-21-07.41.39.jpg  

RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #2

Can you post some pictures of the rafters you had to cut up?

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Can you post some pictures of the rafters you had to cut up?
I just took about a 1x2" chunk out of the bottom of one so the right corner of the chimney could go up in the ceiling. I just used a chisel to chop it out.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

you did it wrong. least as far as i am concerned.

the "chimney" as you call it. should NOT be going through the ceiling. it should be only going "up too" the ceiling, trimed for the angle.

only the round pipe inside of your chimney, you do have round ducting for that, right ?
should go through the ceiling.

your "chimney" is for aesthetics only.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
you did it wrong. least as far as i am concerned.

the "chimney" as you call it. should NOT be going through the ceiling. it should be only going "up too" the ceiling, trimed for the angle.

only the round pipe inside of your chimney, you do have round ducting for that, right ?
should go through the ceiling.

your "chimney" is for aesthetics only.
Not sure about you but cutting stainless steel is not something I can do myself. Cutting drywall on the other hand is pretty basic thus why I did it this way. There is flexible duct coming from the vent and into the wall that goes in the attic up through a vent in the roof.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
I can't figure out how to attach it up there so it stays
inside there should be a metal bracket, towards the top. screw that into something. if there isn't something = put a piece of wood.

Quote:
Not sure about you but cutting stainless steel is not something I can do myself. Cutting drywall on the other hand is pretty basic thus why I did it this way. There is flexible duct coming from the vent and into the wall that goes in the attic up through a vent in the roof.
ok, fair enough. though an angle grinder and being carefull would get it done.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #7

to patch the drywall. sand with a wet sponge. or tape off the stainless. so it doesn't get scratched.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Stainless sheetmetal will cut just as easy as galvanized. Tin snips should work just fine
danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
K&B Designer

Any metal fabricating shop can cut the duct cover for just a few dollars if you provide them with the correct angle. If the bracket wasn't included in the install package (it should have been) they can also fabricate you one to hang it with as well.

Beyond the duct cover, you've got two distinct issues that need to be addressed. First of all is the flex duct. It's the wrong thing. All kitchen exhaust fans should use hard duct. Flex duct collects grease and that's a fire hazard.

Second is the notching of the rafters. That shouldn't have happened. If it was in the way, it should have been boxed out correctly, according to the loads it supports as designed by a structural engineer. It should be inspected by someone who can do structural calculations to see what type of repair is going to be needed.