Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #1

Share |

Need help hanging a basketball hoop

I need help!!! We recently bought a basketball hoop for my 10 yr old son and were planning on putting on the wall of our carport. The bracket is up and the hoop is all set to go, when we went to put it up, the bracket does not go past the eave of the carport. I am short by 7", I could probably create the extension myself (building it out with wood) but I am not sure of the way to build it to support the weight and pounding that a backboard will take. I will mount the original bracket onto the wood extension and then mount the backboard. Has anybody done this before or would anybody know how to build the extension? My son is waiting for this to be put up considering his birthday was three weeks ago.
jwboudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

Need help hanging a basketball hoop

I don't have any advice. But your post reminded me of the hoop I got for my tenth birthday! My dad installed it at regulation height and free of the eaves. Too bad the garage sat in the back yard well away from the driveway... grass doesn't provide much 'pop' for the ball.

Twenty... some years later it doesn't matter that I couldn't/can't dribble the ball. Just that great feeling of pulling wrapping paper off the hoop on my birthday.