Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Bmc

Share |

Need help finding these exact colors!

Ok so I am painting my living room and came across this picture from http://www.porterhousedesigns.com/co...me-wainscoting

I would like to have the same colors in my living room. And I am looking for the exact colors. Both the cream, white and gray, if I can find out the name if those color shades.

Please help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Attached Images

Bmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmc View Post
Ok so I am painting my living room and came across this picture from http://www.porterhousedesigns.com/co...me-wainscoting

I would like to have the same colors in my living room. And I am looking for the exact colors. Both the cream, white and gray, if I can find out the name if those color shades.

Please help!!!

Contact the company. I'm sure they will have the name of the colors. If not, bring pictures of the room to a paint store and match color chips.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
I have gas!

Not to sound like a DB but I see your using an iPhone so isn't there an color picker app for that?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Bmc

Don't know us there?

Bmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I did a restoration of an old Victorian some time ago and we picked Atrium White for the trim (don't remember if it was a Pittsburgh or a Benjamin Moore Color) and South Peak as the base color for most although we used different values of that color. The dining room was done in nice grays. Light for the walls and flat. Sparkly and darker for the ceiling. I do not remember that grey color. All the paint was Benjamin Moore.

It is hard to tell what part of the photo you want to match but if you want? Get a free color/pixel grabber, activate it, and then capture whatever colors in the photo are intriguing you. The pixel grabber will kick out the RGB color coordinates---three numbers.

Take those and go to the still free, www.easyrgb.com website. Type in your RGB codes from you pixel grabbing section and pick a paint manufacturer. The software will display four chips along with names and color numbers to at least provide you a starting point.

That gray in the photo you posted looks somewhat "cool" to be placed with the other colors. Up to you.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

I would suggest taking the photo, printing it out on paper, and if you feel the same way about the color - try to match from the print rather than the computer.

Think of it this way, if you were to find a piece of gorgeous sun-lit stained glass hanging in an antique store window, buy it, take it home and hang it on a flat wall you would be disappointed. The problem is the glass was lit from behind in the window of the store, but there is no light behind it on a flat wall.
You will never match that "glow" on a flat wall that is visible on a computer or any lit screen.

Keep in mind this photo was most likely professionally lit to get the best effect. The lighting in your home will also affect paint color.

Last edited by Blondesense; 08-22-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
The lighting in your home will also affect paint color.
BINGO!
I really am trained in color with a degree or two and credentials. I just painted for a living to pay the lease on the vehicle and mortgage!

People forget about the color of light and it makes me cringe when they stand in front of the displays at a paint store, or God forbid, a box store and think the colors they are seeing are going to look anywhere near what they are seeing under an incandescent bulb, snuggled up next to each other watching television at night. Or even eating tuna salad sandwiches in the dining room at noon.

Light color in pure form or as you look at is measured in units called Kelvin. It may seem counter intuitive but the higher the color temperature, the cooler the color of the light looks. That color is everywhere, overall and inescapable until it is dark and only your cat can maneuver with the spectrum left.

If you have ever walked in a room that has mixed incandescent and compact florescent light bulbs in lamps? It looked rather eery and uncomfortable? Thankfully, you can now get CFLs to match the temps of other lighting.

More, or at least equally important than the color of the light source is its ability to render color you see under it. Incandescent bulbs, soon gone by law, have low K temps but rendered color under them at near 90+ percent. Old florescent tubes used to turn people blue-green! Full spectrum lights are wonderful but expensive. They have natural outdoor K lighting temperatures of 6500 or more and they render a full color spectrum beneath them.

The color industry uses 6500K and a color rendering index of 95 percent or higher as a standard.

So, long winded story short, make sure those color swatches you picked at the store, under that aged florescent thing or the mercury halide overheads, are what you really want at home in the lighting temperature and rendering you have.

And pick colors, with lighting in mind, for when you are going to be using or showing off the room. If only your cat or dog as it home during the day? Pick colors that look best to you when living in the space.

Buy light bulbs with good color rendering indexes no matter their basic K temperature. Look for Color Rendering Indexes above 90 percent. Most halogens are great. As mentioned, full spectrum florescent with CRIs of 98 percent or better are great and will even keep you cheery during the winter?

Not necessarily. We are creatures of trained habits and there is something about reading under an incandescent, watching flickering candlelight or sitting by a fireplace that makes me happy at night. I don't want an outdoor, noon color, lamp around me at night.

Last edited by user1007; 08-22-2011 at 03:04 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #8

Oh to curl next to a fireplace in a flickering candle lit roomYum Yum

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote