Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Need help to find suitable product!

Hello and good day everyone!

I am an engineering student from Germany.Right now I am working on my final engineering project and I need help from you experience woodworkers.

For this project I need to construct a metering device mounted to a production line. The project's name is called "Dosiervorrichtung fuer Spachtelmasse" in german.This machine is to be used as an automation of a woodworking production line.As I have little to zero knowledge about woodworking,this is a very big disadvantage to me.

In order to determine the working condition and mechanical aspect of the project,I need to know about the principal material that'll be used.Using online dictionary, a direct translation of Spachtelmasse is "Spackle"(Spackling paste), a generic trademark as I now known.I also find 'wood putty','crack filler' or 'wood filler' is in similar usage.The hint of this material that my professor gave is characteristically like this;grain in nature,need to be warm/heated to achieve liquid phase, to be used to fill some small defects/holes on the surface of wood slab.

Using internet, i can only find products which require binder or solvent(which didn't implied by my professor).I've also went to nearest store and can't find any 'Spachtelmasse' or 'Holzkitt' that satisfy that either.Plus, I also found that there is certain limit on working time after the material been prepared before it become hardened.So I would like some advise from forumer regarding my questions below:

1.Is there any product that satisfy what my professor told me?(this is the best solution to my problem)
2.If there isn't any,what would you like to suggest?
3.Regarding Q-No.2 and the working time; is there any ways to delay the hardening process to say,like 8 hours? Does stirring or heating or preparing it in a vacuum-sealed and dry container works?

Thank you in advance.

SoFF-OnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,882

I think what your professor is describing is a wood filler used in the production of cabinet plywood--

and perhaps in the production of commercial wood glue ups of solid wood---

The filler is applied hot as the sheet of ply goes through the machine--then it is cooled quickly --

the next machine is a wide belt sander--which removes any excess filler and sands the surface---ready to deliver to the customer.

I suggest that you look up 'plywood production'---this filler you describe is not going to be available in any store--it is intended for industry. ---Mike--

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,452

I see a completely different requirement.

First understand that "Spackle" IS NOT one of your options. Spackle is generally a gypsum-based product used in repairing wall boards and plaster walls.

I think more along the lines of what you are looking for is products used in furniture repairs. There exists sticks of colored filler that you would apply heat to to melt a portion of the stick. The melted results of heating the stick would then be dripped into/onto a repair. You would have a short time to "tool" the hot product before it sets up. It would then in a matter of minutes become hard enough for it to be sanded. The various colors are to match the various colors of stains used in wood finishing.

Don't know how this would apply to a production line but I'll be there is such an application.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,882

The most common translation for Spachtelmasse is filler--My high school German is all but forgotten.

Bud the filler you are describing is a shellac stick--melted and applied correctly just an amazing filler.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,452

Quote:
Bud the filler you are describing is a shellac stick--melted and applied correctly just an amazing filler.
Sounds right. I haven't seen that stuff in years.
oh'mike (12-19-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 574

If this is a production line for raw wood panels, or a production line for fine furniture ?

If its for raw wood panels, its going to be an industrial filler, and you will likely have a hard time finding the product on the internet. I would expect its going to be rather viscous. The trick would be to apply it only where required, at the very fast rates of a modern wood production plant.

If its for fine furniture, you will find results for "grain fillers"

Honestly, I would just ask the prof for more info. As I understand it, your task is to design the application equipment, not to analyze various fillers.

SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
filler, patch, putty, spackle, spackling