Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #1

Share |

Need help figuring out if I can do repair

My bathroom floor is rotten. Problem is I have plywood on post-and-pier (4x4 at 4 feet) not joists. The house has concrete perimeter foundation holding outside walls up but to support floors, has post-and-pier so I can't find anything about how do you replace floor on internet after searching quite a while. On top of plywood is OLD OSB or maybe particle board and that is stuff that is rotten. So far plywood seems OK but is discolored around toilet drain going through floor. If I do have to replace plywood, how to you do that? If you cut out the plywood there is nothing to hold the replacement plywood? There is a 4x4 that goes right under toilet and it is cut out but supported well on each side of toilet, is that going to cause problems for this repair? Is there a name for this type of construction so I can look up references to it in the future? If I can't do this my self, who do I hire? This involves both plumbing and construction. Thanks, rjm7404

rjm7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #2

Do you have a picture of the support underneath ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #3

I am not sure how to post pics but if nothing else I will get some and put links up
Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #4

Hopefully this will work, if not here is the link:
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...hroom%20floor/
Attached Thumbnails
Need help figuring out if I can do repair-dsc02261.jpg   Need help figuring out if I can do repair-dsc02262.jpg   Need help figuring out if I can do repair-dsc02263.jpg   Need help figuring out if I can do repair-dsc02264.jpg   Need help figuring out if I can do repair-dsc02265.jpg  

Old 02-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #5

I'd put joists across for the new sub-floor
Old 02-24-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Me too. Add a couple of joists on either side of the toilet drain and only cut out plywood that is bad. Use joist hangers to connect them to the existing.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #7

Nice pics by the way...where are you located?

When you redo it, don't use any "particle-type" boards like particle board itself or OSB, use the strongest plywood you can get, especially if you want to tile over it and in that case, you'll be real happy with the added joist support just mentioned.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:08 AM   #8

I don't want anything that will immediately catch a house inspectors eye and say "code violation". I think the plywood may be OK, I will use good exterior-grade plywood and maybe get some thick enough that I could run some screws through to the bottom plywood and have them held together.

I am in the U.S. but rather not say where so nobody can look me up years from now when I am selling the house and say, "Oh that's that house. We don't want it".
Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #9

Whaddya mean "joists are not an option"?

To me, you have no other choice but to compensate for that cut beam by using joists and joist hangers - if for no other reason than to hold up the toilet trap. Plus, one reason why your toilet leaked from there in the first place may have been because you didn't have enough support so the toilet flange had to bear a lot of weight with a little help from the particle board - which is little...so a few short joists here and there held up with joist hangers where it is solid to do so, would be fine. Probably advisable to shore up the cut beam....

I read you are real squirrely about codes and inspectors...that's OK, I just wanted to know what part of the world you lived in...see, we don't have open basements like that, for good reason, but I am always interested in the problems of people who do have that type of crawl space. I imagine you're 'way south...

Good luck!
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #10

that was a bad bath plan
Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #11

How thick is this plywood that it spans 4' ?
You somehow think putting proper support in is a violation ??

We don't need an exact location...a nearby large city & state is what is needed for codes
Old 02-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm7404 View Post
I don't want anything that will immediately catch a house inspectors eye and say "code violation". I think the plywood may be OK, I will use good exterior-grade plywood and maybe get some thick enough that I could run some screws through to the bottom plywood and have them held together.

I am in the U.S. but rather not say where so nobody can look me up years from now when I am selling the house and say, "Oh that's that house. We don't want it".
When you registered, your IP address will let the local building departments who monitor this web site know exactly who and where you are.
Expect a knock at the door this morning.
Thanks for the laugh.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #13

I am in WA so not exactly South. Joists are 6 or 8 inches by definition. Hanging them off a 4x4 would not fly. If the plywood is still sound, then solid plywood screwed to the stuff that is there should help support things. I haven't had a chance to check around the toilet trap to see if there is any sagging. The house was designed with the toilet being that way it was not an added toilet. I will get more time to check things this weekend but I still have to work tonight. So more later, thanks.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Who in the heck hacked that beam in two?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm7404 View Post
I am in WA so not exactly South. Joists are 6 or 8 inches by definition. Hanging them off a 4x4 would not fly. If the plywood is still sound, then solid plywood screwed to the stuff that is there should help support things. I haven't had a chance to check around the toilet trap to see if there is any sagging. The house was designed with the toilet being that way it was not an added toilet. I will get more time to check things this weekend but I still have to work tonight. So more later, thanks.
Joists are not 6 or 8" by definition
They are as big as needed to span the distance by Code
A 2x4 will span ~6' as a floor joist depending upon the wood/grade