DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   Need help choosing most reliable cement siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/need-help-choosing-most-reliable-cement-siding-131727/)

nordic587 01-28-2012 04:50 PM

Need help choosing most reliable cement siding
 
Hello to all on DIY Chatroom,
A builder we may choose to build a mid size rancher for us currently uses Certainteed siding. My limited research including viewing posts here tells me Certainteed should likely be avoided in favor of other products like Hardie Plank. I went through the LP debacle in my current home replacing it with cedar when it was available and within budget. This new home will be my last for my retired years. I don't want to be concerned about the siding coming apart and will not be able to afford to replacing it should it fail. Buying cedar siding again is way out of budget.

I have read mostly negative comments about Certainteed and more positives about Hardie Plank. I am really put off by the news of the class action suit. I read that Certainteed recently adopted a new formula in their cement siding board but this has not yet stood the test of time.

For those of your who do respond am I better off paying a bit more for JH and are there other cement board siding product options?
The house will be built on Crooked River Ranch near Redmond Oregon. Thanks to all who respond.

TarheelTerp 01-28-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordic587 (Post 837261)
A builder we may choose to build a mid size rancher for us currently uses Certainteed siding.

Because the vendor who gives him credit...
and who he gets the deepest annual volume discount from...
sells Certainteed.

The issue here may be less about material brand preferences...
than it is financial solvency of the builder.

Quote:

For those of your who do respond am I better off paying a bit more for JH and are there other cement board siding product options?
In my world, "a bit more" is less than 5% on the total (for that phase of the job figuring the labor, hardware, etc are all the same whichever brand is used). So, how much is "a bit more" in your world?

joecaption 01-28-2012 05:11 PM

I can and do install any type of siding. Any form of cement siding I hate like the plague.
I charge three as much per square to install it, There's more waste due to brakage even before it gets installed. A pain to cut, needs to be painted and caulked. And there trim boards are complete trash. I've had them break just riding on a flat bed trailer and are hard to even nail in place.
If a piece ever does get damaged while it's on the wall from lets say a rock from the lawn mower it's near impossible to repair. (yes I know it can be done but it's a pain)
Someones going to say you can order prepainted Hardee plank, good luck with that, it's still going to need a lot of touch up painting.

Go with vinyl and there's 0 painting ever, no caulking needed, goes on faster, a whole section can be replaced in about 10 min. with no damage, cost less to buy, no chance of it leaking at the seams, can be install right up againt roofing, (hardee has to be at least 4" away)
Simpe to add details like headers over doors and winodws.

nordic587 01-28-2012 05:35 PM

Thanks to TarheelTerp and joe caption
 
Tarheel Terp: my first thought on why he uses Certainteed was price point. I guess that is part of getting a volume discount.

joe caption: perhaps i will do some more research on vinyl siding. So far have never been a fan.

Willie T 01-28-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 837271)
I can and do install any type of siding. Any form of cement siding I hate like the plague.
I charge three as much per square to install it, There's more waste due to brakage even before it gets installed. A pain to cut, needs to be painted and caulked. And there trim boards are complete trash. I've had them break just riding on a flat bed trailer and are hard to even nail in place.
If a piece ever does get damaged while it's on the wall from lets say a rock from the lawn mower it's near impossible to repair. (yes I know it can be done but it's a pain)
Someones going to say you can order prepainted Hardee plank, good luck with that, it's still going to need a lot of touch up painting.

Go with vinyl and there's 0 painting ever, no caulking needed, goes on faster, a whole section can be replaced in about 10 min. with no damage, cost less to buy, no chance of it leaking at the seams, can be install right up againt roofing, (hardee has to be at least 4" away)
Simpe to add details like headers over doors and winodws.

Amen, Brother.

Joe Carola 01-28-2012 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=joecaption;837271 (hardee has to be at least 4" away)
[/QUOTE]

2" the most depending on what zone your in.

TarheelTerp 01-28-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 837271)
Any form of cement siding I hate like the plague.
I charge three as much per square to install it...

And I hate vinyl siding almost like the plague.
That I reserve for aluminum siding.

Charge what you have to charge.

nordic587 01-28-2012 06:57 PM

your feedback helps
 
Thanks guys for your comments and information. There are likely many reasons for this unknown to me, as I am not a builder, but in the suburbs of Portland where I live I know of only one house having vinyl siding. I am tending toward paying more to have JH installed.

jklingel 01-28-2012 10:15 PM

Well, let's see here. Cement, aluminum, and vinyl are out. What's left besides wood and steel? I know zip about siding (except T1-11; seems to be working....), but my dad's aluminum has been on (Cleveland, Ohio area) for as long as I can remember (don't ask) and all we ever did was repaint it every several years. Damn westerly winds would tear up that side the most. So what is to hate about aluminum siding? Dent too easily? Just curious.

joecaption 01-28-2012 10:29 PM

Dents easy, damm near imposible to replace a piece, finish wears off. AND NEEDS PAINTING.
Paint it next time with Sherwin Williams Super paint or better yet Duration and see how long it last. It should last about 10 years.

jklingel 01-28-2012 11:00 PM

joe; got it. yes, aluminum siding does need painting. i think the last paint job will outlast my folks, though, so i ain't doin' nothing. what do you generally recommend for siding where it is FREAKING cold? i'm inclined to go w/ wood, and put THE BEST treatment on it. thanks. j

abracaboom 01-29-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordic587 (Post 837365)
[. . .], but in the suburbs of Portland where I live I know of only one house having vinyl siding. I am tending toward paying more to have JH installed.

Good tendency.

Hardieplank looks much better when it's smooth (rather than the cheesy fake wood grain) and when the boards are 6-1/4" wide rather than 8-1/4."

(Parr Lumber.)

kwikfishron 01-30-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordic587 (Post 837365)
I am tending toward paying more to have JH installed.

If you like the board and batten look consider using the sheet hardi with 1x3 cedar battens and 5/4 window trim.


I usually don’t have anything good to say about fiber cement siding (mostly esthetic issues) but the B&B type of installation looks real nice if accompanied with some nice trim details.


If you have to go with lap Hardi then consider going with a 5” exposure. 5” lays much better on the wall than the 7”.

nordic587 01-30-2012 08:04 AM

Thanks kwikfishron
 
Thanks for the info on board and batten and the 5" exposure. All good info for my decision.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved