Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #1

Share |

Need help with attic ventilation

I've been slowly remodeling my 1920's home. I remodeled the back half of the house.

Next week I'm putting on a new roof, and this is my opportunity to make any changes with the attic ventilation. So currently I have two unpowered gable vents at the front and back of the house. There are no soffit inlets or gable vents. I was originally going to just use a gable fan, but need some input on the following situation.

I had put in a cathedral ceiling in in the kitchen. When I re-dry walled, i used rigid foam for insulation and made an air channel with the rigid foam between each roof rafter. The problem is I have no soffit openings to push the hot air up the channel and out the gable vent. The air channel is 6' long and ends in the center of the house where the gable vent is.

The problem is that I can add soffit vents and a ridge vent and close off the gable vents to push that air through the the air channel in the cathedral ceiling. The Issue I have is it will be years before I can start on the front half of the house . So I can not add any soffit openings to the front half. So the gable vents need to stay there.

I guess I need to stick with a gable fan. Not sure how that is going to affect the room with the cathedral ceiling. The cathedral room does not span the entire width of the house. Since the span is only 6' long, do I need to be concerned. Any suggestions? Thanks

RWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #2

Powered fans draw conditioned air from the house, especially is a drafty OLD house. Your best bet would be to install a ridge vent during the reroofing, and then open the soffits for full soffit/ridge venting. Natural ventilation that uses no power, and won't suck the air from the conditioned spaces.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #3

I keep reading that it is not good to have two ventilation systems in place. I will not be able to install soffit vents in the front half of the house for a few years. So I need the gable vent to push air through.

If I go ahead and install a ridge vent, it will cover the entire house length. The front will not have any soffit vents but the back of the house will (for at least a few years until I can start working on the front half).

So do I go ahead and install the ridge, soffit (back of the house) and keep the gable vents (front / Back of the house)

I'm not sure if I'm clearly explaining the situation.
RWebb is offline   Reply With Quote