Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #1

Share |

Need help with adding lock to storage closet

Hi,
I had a bike stolen from the bike closet inside the building garage. It's a small building and I have discussed with them and the owner about making it more secure by adding a lock to the closet door.
But the door is made of wood and I am not sure just replacing the current latch with one that can be locked with a padlock will do the job. I think it could be easily opened with a crowbar, maybe even with simpler tools.

The current latch is fixated with screws. All a thief would need to do is unscrew it. Should we use nails instead?
Should instead or in addition to a latch make a whole on the wood door and another on the column and run a thick cable lock there?

I would appreciate if you have any suggestions on how to make it a bit more secure, at least something that would deter most thieves.

I am attaching pictures.

Thank you so much,

Skuba
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with adding lock to storage closet-door-column.jpg   Need help with adding lock to storage closet-door-current-latch.jpg   Need help with adding lock to storage closet-door-wooden-open.jpg  

skuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
DIY Hack

The lock you currently have is called a barrel bolt. Look for one that has square holes in it

and install it with carriage bolts. Carriage bolts have unslotted round heads, with a square shoulder that will fit into the square holes. You then "lock" them on the inside with nuts and washers

To break in a theif would have to basically use a crow bar to rip the washers and nuts through the door. Easier said than done. You'll have to drill holes all the way through the jamb side, and use bolts long enough to put nuts and washers on the back side.

Second choice would be to use security head screws. Use the wood screw style on the jamb side, and machine screw style, with lock nuts on the door side. A theif would have to be prepared with special bits to unscrew them.

The down side to this plan is most of the special bits are readily available for purchase these days, but at least the would-be theif would have to do a little planning ahead.

Easiest would be to use carriage bolts on the door side, and security head wood screws on the jamb side

Last edited by Mr Chips; 08-03-2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: added picts
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #3

The bolt slides in and out no matter what screw you put in it.
If you want it marginally secure, put a deadbolt lock on the door. I say marginally because it's a hollow core interior door with exposed hinges. All you need to do is remove the hinge pins and the door comes off.
Best case scenario. Solid core door with security hinges and a deadbolt.
Personally, I'd keep nothing in the closet.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The bolt slides in and out no matter what screw you put in it.
The barrel bolt in the picture has a hole for a padlock in the back. When a padlock is installed it prevents the bolt from being slid to the unlocked position. I assume they plan to use a padlock to secure this barrel bolt.

Another thing you could do to make your bike a little harder to steal is to install a long heavy duty eyebolt inside the closet. then use a bike cable to lock your bike to the eyebolt. In order for a thief to unscrew the eyebolt they would have to rotate your entire bike while they unscrew the eyebolt. It might add enough difficulty to have them move on

Last edited by Mr Chips; 08-03-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #5

Thanks guys these are some good advices. Yes, I know it would be just marginally safer but might be an obstacle to most people worried that someone might show up.

Quote:
I say marginally because it's a hollow core interior door with exposed hinges. All you need to do is remove the hinge pins and the door comes off.
Ron you are right. Is it possible I could replace the current hinges with security ones?

Quote:
Easiest would be to use carriage bolts on the door side, and security head wood screws on the jamb side
Mr Chips, if I do get the barrel lock with the square screw holes, would i be able to use security round screws on the jamp side? I don't think I would be able to use the square screws because I wouldn't be able to reach it on the inside to "lock" it with nuts.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuba View Post

Is it possible I could replace the current hinges with security ones?

sure, just look for "fixed pin" hinges

Quote:

if I do get the barrel lock with the square screw holes, would i be able to use security round screws on the jamp side? I don't think I would be able to use the square screws because I wouldn't be able to reach it on the inside to "lock" it with nuts.
yes, as long as the screw heads are big enough (or use washers), but it should be easy enough to drill straight through and use long carriage bolts with nuts on the back. you can even just use one or two carriage bolts all the way through and the rest wood screws on that side.

another idea would be to use all wood scews but with different heads: so one slotted, one phillips, one torx and one square drive. that isnt very secure, but would at least slow them down and frustrate them a little!

You could even just leave the barrel bolt you have there, as is, but take a 3/16 or so drill bit and use it to round out the phillips slots so it really can't be removed without using a crowbar to rip it off

Last edited by Mr Chips; 08-03-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Experienced

Why not just add a standard hasp as opposed to whats there. When a hasp is locked the screws are covered.

Mark
Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Why not just add a standard hasp as opposed to whats there. When a hasp is locked the screws are covered.
I don't like hasps in light duty hollow core doors simply because there is usually a lot of room to get a crowbar, clawhammer, or even heavy screwdriver under and they will pry off fairly easily, but it's certainly an improvement over the exposed sheetmetal/wood screws
Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
I don't like hasps in light duty hollow core doors simply because there is usually a lot of room to get a crowbar, clawhammer, or even heavy screwdriver under and they will pry off fairly easily, but it's certainly an improvement over the exposed sheetmetal/wood screws
I guess that would depend on to what extent one was to reinforce even a hollow core door. By simply putting a 4" x 4" 3/8" plywood on the inside would help that dramatically.

Besides aren't locks in general for honest people anyway?

Mark
Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #10

THanks for the additional great advice.

Quote:
but it should be easy enough to drill straight through and use long carriage bolts with nuts on the back
What I am thinking here is, if I keep the current lock barrel, I could still use a non-square shoulder carriage bolt. If it's locked on the other side with nuts, it won't be possible to remove.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
DIY Hack

Quote:
THanks for the additional great advice.

What I am thinking here is, if I keep the current lock barrel, I could still use a non-square shoulder carriage bolt. If it's locked on the other side with nuts, it won't be possible to remove.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks
If you drill straight through and just use regular machine screws, that will work, but I'd use lock nuts with nylon inserts ( aka: nylocks) on the inside.

These are nearly impossible to remove by just using a screwdriver, without being able to hold the nut from the inside with a wrench. You could even use a regular nut and extra long machine screws and bend the end of the screw that comes out of the nut down, so that the nut really can't come off. This would be an effective, low budget solution to your problem. If you use one of these ideas, use big washers or reinforce the back of the door with a piece of plywood between the door and nut, as suggested above.

Last edited by Mr Chips; 08-03-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
FlyingHammer

Here's a simple and cheap solution to fix the exposed hinge problem:

Drill two or three pilot holes into the hinge edge of the door. One about a foot from the top, one a foot from the bottom, and one near the middle. Screw a lag bolt into each pilot hole, then cut off the bolt heads with a hacksaw. Leave about 1/2" of each bolt sticking out from the door. SLOWLY close the door until the bolts just touch the door jamb, then mark where they hit. Drill three corresponding holes in the jamb slightly larger than the bolts so they don't bind when the door closes. If they do bind, just ream out the holes a bit.

With the door closed, it won't matter if someone pulls the hinge pins. The door still won't open.
FlyingHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHammer View Post
Here's a simple and cheap solution to fix the exposed hinge problem:

Drill two or three pilot holes into the hinge edge of the door. One about a foot from the top, one a foot from the bottom, and one near the middle. Screw a lag bolt into each pilot hole, then cut off the bolt heads with a hacksaw. Leave about 1/2" of each bolt sticking out from the door. SLOWLY close the door until the bolts just touch the door jamb, then mark where they hit. Drill three corresponding holes in the jamb slightly larger than the bolts so they don't bind when the door closes. If they do bind, just ream out the holes a bit.

With the door closed, it won't matter if someone pulls the hinge pins. The door still won't open.

FlyingHammer thanks for the advice. So it's pretty much something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BDtEv4Rt1k

THanks

Last edited by skuba; 08-03-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
Too Old

Make sure you have a good jamb and framing, Start with NRP's with at least 3" screws, at the other end use a deadbolt the is installed to actually lock.