Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #1

Share |

Need flooding advice

Hi all,

I have a water drainage problem that's been plaguing me for years. Outside of my back door is a recessed cement landing. It is at ground level but the garage back door, house back door and cement pool patio basically enclose this area. When it rains heavily this area can collect up to 5 inches of water. To add to this, the overflow drain along the house for pool water that's splashed out also drains into this area. The further complicate a solution, the pool pump and filter equipment is on the open side, so I can't put in a drainage pipe. When it floods the water basically seeps under the pool patio or seeps into the ground where the pump equipment is. I've attached some pics to show the area.

I was thinking of getting a sump pump to put in this area when needed. I don't think I'd leave it there as it would be in the way going in/out the two doors. What I'm unsure of is if sump pumps are water/weatherproof so the rain wouldn't damage it. I've also thought about a french drain system right in the middle of the area but not sure if that would be truly effective. The extreme solution is to relocate the pool equipment, put in a drainage pipe and intersect it with the pool drainage pipe that empties into the canal behind our house. The way it is now, I can't get a pipe to that drainage pipe due to the inflow/outflow pipes for the pool and the equipment itself.

Other than these ideas I'm at a loss as to how to fix this flooding problem. Any ideas??

Trob
Attached Thumbnails
Need flooding advice-0517121105.jpg   Need flooding advice-0517121105b.jpg   Need flooding advice-0517121105c.jpg  

trobinson017 is offline   Reply With Quote