Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #1

Share |

Need a Barn home forum?? And or suggestions from here? also need plan ideas? software

Im looking for a barn home forum? Any suggestions? I thought I may find some specific ideas there but also want to ask here.

I own 175 acres in Cambridge Idaho and need to start planning a barn home now. ( 30 MONTHS UNTIL I RETIRE) I own the property outright and choose a barn home because of costs. I currently live in Northern Nevada and my current home went from 600k in value to 300K and I am upside down. So the days of taking 200k OUT of it and building on the exPensive side are gone!!

I have a well, brand new septic and electric on this home site, which will sit on a 2 acre pond I have established there.

I am no pro builder but did build a 4200 sq ft shop/ mother in law on my current home, so I have lots of tools, pleanty of ideas and lots of energy.

I feel a barn home on a slab foundation with a heated PEX floor would be the cheapest way to get into a 2,000 or so sq ft home. This entire thing will have to be built out of pocket, in stages by me.

I will have the concrete done by a pro locally and am still mulling over the slab or stem wall floor with floor joists??? what ya think. I do want heated floors and will also be using a wod stove. I have no issues doingh concrete thats we can stain or maybe even stamp.

I am actually going to do the electrical on the outside of the interior walls in conduit as I like the look. I know it sounds odd, but I have seen it in a large 5000 sq ft barn antique store and it was nice. Rustic is the word.

In any case, my main issue are plans and planning. Im going to keep this simple, but I know I will need plans and hope to try and save some $ by doing them myself or buying software? I know the county uses the UBC so it should be pretty standard in the way of plans and straigh forward.

I have never built my own hoem before. I do have a 30x40 pole barn on this property that I need to enclose and finish, that is going to be a shop as well. I was contenplating doing the home the same size, with 15x40 shed sides on each side, one being living space and one ebing patio. I would also so some additional space ont he front and back for covered patio and garage space.

Just thought I would see if there are any suggestions on here?

Thanks
RUMBLON
RUMBLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #2

Need a Barn home forum?? And or suggestions from here? also need plan ideas? software

Hi Rumblon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMBLON View Post
I feel a barn home on a slab foundation with a heated PEX floor would be the cheapest way to get into a 2,000 or so sq ft home. This entire thing will have to be built out of pocket, in stages by me.
I'm just curious. Why do you not consider a basement? I'm in Quebec where winters are pretty severe and everyone here couldn't survive without a basement. Slab floors are darn cold in winter, no matter what you do with them. My heated workshop is on a slab and I use winter boots and lots of socks.

One of my criteria is survivability. We experienced the ice storm of 1998 in Eastern Ontario, Canada. We were without electricity for 16 days. That meant no heat, water or cooking. Because of that, we always have a stockpile of firewood, always maintain a standby generator and always have a reserve source of water, summer and winter.
Allthunbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Owner

Quote:

I will have the concrete done by a pro locally and am still mulling over the slab or stem wall floor with floor joists??? what ya think. I do want heated floors and will also be using a wod stove. I have no issues doingh concrete thats we can stain or maybe even stamp.
I love the look of stamped or stained concrete, but from a past service plumbing standpoint; I personally wouldn't put anything under a slab. Drains, water lines, etc. You're just asking for trouble. If you ever have a problem (leak) you'll be jack-hammering or saw cutting your flooring. That part of Idaho isn't that cold anyway. Lifetime Idaho resident here, and I can tell you a good pair of slippers is cheaper. If nothing else, you should at least have a crawl space to accommodate your plumbing.
(208) 818-8241

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Owner

A quick Google search turned up these. I think I want a barn home now. Thanks for the inspiration

http://www.yankeebarnhomes.com/index...ple-plans.html

http://www.barnplans.com/order.html
(208) 818-8241

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthunbs View Post
Hi Rumblon:

I'm just curious. Why do you not consider a basement? I'm in Quebec where winters are pretty severe and everyone here couldn't survive without a basement. Slab floors are darn cold in winter, no matter what you do with them. My heated workshop is on a slab and I use winter boots and lots of socks.

One of my criteria is survivability. We experienced the ice storm of 1998 in Eastern Ontario, Canada. We were without electricity for 16 days. That meant no heat, water or cooking. Because of that, we always have a stockpile of firewood, always maintain a standby generator and always have a reserve source of water, summer and winter.

I had plans to do a daylight basement when I was putting the home on the hill above the pond. I had ideas to do a basement on the hill and use the bottom level for all these issues. Now that I cant take 200K out of my home and use it for building, I am building where I have my septic, well and all the power all done and a 1680 sq ft shop for some hotrod action. That said, the new location is next to my pond and I think that I may have a seepage issue because its an area in clay. The aforementioned area was a hillside that was sandy and drained a lot better.

I may end up doing a crawl space as that also gives me more flexibility with plumbing ect.

RUMBLON
Old 01-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralConcepts View Post
A quick Google search turned up these. I think I want a barn home now. Thanks for the inspiration

http://www.yankeebarnhomes.com/index...ple-plans.html

http://www.barnplans.com/order.html
Thanks for the links. I know both Yankee, which is very expensive and the main barn site, which mainly deals with the gramble style roof, which I dont like. But I am looking for a discussion forum such as this that deals with barn homes, IF ONE EVEN EXISTS.!!! I have been looking into barn homes for years and this site here has the styles I LOVE. The great western is the style I am looking at and was going to even consider buying a package from these guys or design my own and bid it out locally across the state line from Idaho in Oregon, to save the taxes

This is the best site for barns - just my 2 cents.

RUMBLON

http://www.unclehowards.com/
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #7

This is a barn here but its called the Great western my Uncle Howards barns.

I am sure you can see how it can be adapted for a home as well. The hoME site sits on this site below. Its a 2 acre or so pond and lots of huge mountain views. The lot is 175 acres and the pond is approx 2 acres in size. I have plans for two more ponds. The views are great.

As you can see I have this 30x40 barn on it now, This pic is a bit older as one side of that bran is now shed sided to add some size. That will be enclosed and done this summer giving me an apartment to stay in when I move and build if all else fails before building before moving, which I hope to do.
The home site, is where the tens, camper are all sitting int he pic. everything is installed for a home,septic, well is up by the barn. Lots of power and even high speed internet is there for $14.99 a month.

I can build a similar barn/pole barn near the pond with more detail, but want the detail and roof lines, ect of the at Great Western. I am talking to them now as well about plans and a bid for the project. I will build it myself with help from 2 hired framers to save time.
RUMBLON
Attached Thumbnails
Need a Barn home forum?? And or suggestions from here? also need plan ideas? software-utley-barn.jpg   Need a Barn home forum?? And or suggestions from here? also need plan ideas? software-dsc_0104.jpg   Need a Barn home forum?? And or suggestions from here? also need plan ideas? software-dsc_0111.jpg   Need a Barn home forum?? And or suggestions from here? also need plan ideas? software-dsc_0113.jpg   Need a Barn home forum?? And or suggestions from here? also need plan ideas? software-dsc_0160.jpg  

Old 01-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #8

Here are a couple of more shots of the views we have. I simply ant wait to get there. I bought a lottery ticket yesterday---keeping my fingers crossed--

RUMBLON
Attached Thumbnails
Need a Barn home forum?? And or suggestions from here? also need plan ideas? software-dsc_0085.jpg   Need a Barn home forum?? And or suggestions from here? also need plan ideas? software-dsc_0094.jpg   Need a Barn home forum?? And or suggestions from here? also need plan ideas? software-dsc_0251.jpg   Need a Barn home forum?? And or suggestions from here? also need plan ideas? software-dsc_0178.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the links. I know both Yankee, which is very expensive and the main barn site, which mainly deals with the gramble style roof, which I dont like. But I am looking for a discussion forum such as this that deals with barn homes, IF ONE EVEN EXISTS.!!! I have been looking into barn homes for years and this site here has the styles I LOVE. The great western is the style I am looking at and was going to even consider buying a package from these guys or design my own and bid it out locally across the state line from Idaho in Oregon, to save the taxes

This is the best site for barns - just my 2 cents.

RUMBLON

http://www.unclehowards.com/
Oh yeah, I saw that website also when I was searching. The one you've pictured is gorgeous.

Not sure what you mean by saving taxes. There's no tax on service in Idaho.

Likewise, my little brother is an amazing finish carpenter. He can do anything from framing to high end finish work. He particularly enjoys the big timber trusses, rustic style, etc. He lives up here near me in Coeur d'Alene, but he'll travel anywhere in the state for a job. Actually he just left for Idaho Falls today. He's very reasonable. Let me know if you're interested. Here's his website. http://www.boonebuiltllc.com/
(208) 818-8241

Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Owner

You're property is beautiful by the way. I kinda miss the open country. Do you do any huntin'?
(208) 818-8241

Old 01-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralConcepts View Post
You're property is beautiful by the way. I kinda miss the open country. Do you do any huntin'?
by taxes I was talking sales tax on the lumber package. It ads up. I have not done much hunting as of late, work keeps me busy. I do a lot of shooting, tactical as I carry a gun for a living. I do hunt birds but plan on stocking my fridge each and every year. I have lots of white tail and antelope right here on this property and Elk are close if the wolves dont eat them all by then.

I will have to check out his web site.

Thanks

RUMBLON
Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #12

Thumbs up

I ran a business for 5 years where I took down over 50 old timber frame barns and a dozen log cabins. It was very successful and got to be TOO successful in that I had to choose between doing that and my day job. Day job was much less labor and had benefits so I closed up HLH Old Barns. We sold complete barns that have been put back up in Texas, and Vermont. Most of what we did was to salvage out Hand Hewn beams and wood for homes for decorative beams and to mill flooring. I live in a large log cabin that has 200 year old white oak floor from the first barn I took down. Lots of incredible character.

Here is my advice for you:

If you want the best deal you can get, run an ad in your local papers advertising that you will take down old barns for the materials. DO NOT offer or agree to pay anything. I bought my first barn for $500 and the next 49 for free. It's a lot of work and expense taking down and old timber frame barn and you are doing the owner a favor by getting it down and off of their taxes. Start from the top - meaning the metal roof by taking off all the sheets first. You do not want to be taking off metal roofing after you have stripped the barn of it;s weathered siding because it gets scary without the additional support (experience speaking)
Once you take off the roof and the siding, TAKE TONS OF PHOTOS and diagram each and every beam. Before doing anything else after that, make sure you TAG and diagram every beam by doind so one bent (section) at a time. I can't stress this enough. As far as taking down the beams which will be pegged together if it's an old barn, you are most like wasting time trying to knock the pegs out until you have the bents down in sections. Old barns were usually put up one bent at a time and most will only have 4 to 5 bents depending on how big the barn is. The further north you are the chance are the bigger the barns are that you will find.
You need a crane and lots of help when you are ready to take bents down. Also make sure you have a lot of extra long boards to use as support for the bents you have not taken down.

If you are not up to the work of taking an old barn down but still want an authentic looking timber frame barn, then I woudl suggest you consider contacting a local trade/vocation school that has a building treades class. Offer to supply them all the materials in exchange for the students building a timber frame barn for you. The other option would be to contac the Amish if you have them in your area. They are excellent at building timber frame barns but may not be cheap. Have the beams bandsawn but if you want an authentic look, I would suggest buying yourself an adz or two and hand hewning the beams on the sides where they will show in your house. This takes some practice but is not that hard to do since it's more for cosmetics than to square the beams up.

I would strongly suggest looking into pre-engineered, pre insulated SIPs Panels for both your roof and your walls. This will save you a lot of time and work and if you use the panels on the outside of your timber fram, more of your beams will show inside.

Hydronic PEX line in your concrete floor would be awesome and unless you want wood floors, I would look into stamping the concrete or staining it for looks and then using large rugs throughout. this will save you thousands.

I assume you will have an outside wood furnace/boiler if so. This is the cheapest way to heat, BUT takes a willingness to work hard to cut wood, or simply buy it, stack it, and load it into your stove to heat your house and hot water with. Buy a big wood stove - bigger than suggested for the square footage. You will have to fill it less and it will heat mre proficiently. DO NOT NEGLECT MAINTENANCE ON YOUR OUTDOOR WOOD STOVE! (experience speaking) MAKE sure you install a water softener and only fill your wood stove with soft water - not hard.

One other option you might want to consider especially if you have access to a lot of large pine trees (even if they are dead as long as they are still standing) would be to build a log home out of them. I live in a log home made from lodge pole pine tree that were hand scribed and laid together. This is a lot of work and not easy at all. but if you can get the logs and are handy enough to learn (attend a 2 week course on hand scribing and building a log home) you can have a unique house that didn't cost a fortune but looks like it did.

Hope this helps!

Good luck with whatever you do.

Tony
tlynholland is offline   Reply With Quote