Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #1

Share |

need advice befor pouring concrete in barn

I had a 40' by 60' pole barn built a year ago.I have about 4"of white stone on the floor now.I want to put a concrete floor int.But have a lot of stuff in the barn now.
This is what I done so far.I stood avay from the walls about a foot.And formed it with 2x4s 50"wide around 3 sides of the barn.Its going to be 4"thick of poured concrete.
This is like a big walkway around the inside of half of the barn.This will be one continous pour.I live in Maryland and the ground is rock and clay.Pretty hard.Do I need to put any expansion joints in this?
I allready have this formed and ready to pour.I forgot to mention .Its plastic over the rocks and 6 by 6 wire mesh inside it.
If I need anything else please let me know.And how do I do it.Thanks

abtankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Eibwen

I would put some exspansion joints in it just to cut down on the stress cracks but the mesh should help alot.

Are you planning on doing the rest of the floor at a later date?

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #3

What I need to know now .Is what kind of expansion joints?And where do I put them?
Eventually the whole inside of the barn will be poured.But I have to do it in sections.
Thanks for the advice.
abtankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Eibwen

I would go with a true expansion joint of pressure treated 3/4" about every 16 feet and a groove joint for stress cracks about every four feet. Think of it as one big sidewalk.. If you dont already have some concrete finishers signed on for the job, consider it, they will do a good job.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #5

You will get a crack at every corner where there is a 90 inside turn. Put a joint at every corner so that one of the slabs goes straight through.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote