DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is Natural Gas Firepit on a Wood or Composite Deck unsafe?

18K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MissHailey 
#1 ·
We are building a new Deck this summer. Not sure if it's going to be wood top or the more expensive composite yet.

We are going to have a natural gas line run outside to the deck for a BBQ. We are also considering integrating a natural gas fire pit into the deck as well since we will already have the gas line run out there.

Is a natural gas fire pit unsafe on a wooden deck? What about a composite deck? I know that a natural wood burning fire pit would probably be quite hazardous. But a natural gas doesn't burn any wood and there is no cracking or sparking or anything like that. No embers floating in the air to land on the deck, etc... It seems like it would be just about as safe as a BBQ on a wood deck, considering that it's a contained, open natural gas flame.

#2 ·
Check with your local AHJ and fire department. Also, notify your H.O. Insurance carrier...

Gary

Reactions: AtlanticWBConst.
#4 ·
I second Gary's recommendation to check with your local Codes & Laws.

Example - This regulation appears on the gvt. website of the town I live in:

Do you have one of these?
If you intend to use one of these, something similar or a traditional pit in the ground then you need to obtain a Fire permit. You need to be aware of the surface it is placed upon and the distance of a minimum of 25 feet away from any other structure is required!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.