Mysterious Leaking Roof... Suggestions? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
Property Manager/Landlord

Rewards Points: 25

Mysterious leaking roof... Suggestions?

A year after we bought our home, we noticed water damage in the drywall on our second floor (vaulted ceiling, so no attic). I liberally coated the roof (asphault shingles) with a heavy aluminum coating. All was well for a while. No leaks.

Some months went by, and we had a heavy rain and the water just rushed in. Seemed to start at the peak and run down the old rafters and stopped at the walls. So I now have a water stain from the peak to the walls. Lovely. Just lovely.

I do a solid inspection of the roof paying exta attention to the roof cap, thinking there might have been a loose shingle. All is solid, nothing noticable that would allow water into the house. As mentioned, this roof was heavily coated and well sealed!!

Now, our home is older and has a slight slope in the center of the roof. I noticed that during certain long-term rain fall that no water leaks in. But during other rains, the water gushes in. Could it be that I have a leak near the gable-end of the home and the water follows the main header into the center of my home and then follows that rafter down to the wall?

Since the roof is solid, I am convinced that there is another avenue that the water is sneaking in. Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

steve

Advertisement

AlbrightPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

You coated an asphalt shingle roof with aluminium roof coating? And you're surprised it leaks? Tsk-tsk.

My suggestion is to replace the roof and quit monkeying around slathering crap on top of it.

Advertisement

mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
registered

Rewards Points: 526

You turn a bad stituation into a worst stituation. I don't understand why you would have coated that roof. My advice is ripped that roof off and replace it. Unfortunately depending on the size of your house a 30 year shingle is going to probably run in around 3500.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
Master Craftsman

Rewards Points: 250

I totally agree with the other two. Caulking or tar or whatever it is has no place on a roof. 99.9% of the time it will just cause it to leak worse or make the problem harder to find. Replace the roof or at least hire a professional to look at it.

Another thing you could do is to cut a patch out of the ceiling since it is ruined anyway and wait for the next rain and try to follow the leak and see where it is coming from.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

This might help!

http://buildscanir.com/index.php
stuccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
You coated an asphalt shingle roof with aluminium roof coating? And you're surprised it leaks? Tsk-tsk.
I should clarify... it's meant for asphalt roofs, but has that aluminum goop in it that reflects the heat. Sorry...

steve
Old 10-29-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
Building inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbrightPM View Post
Seemed to start at the peak and run down the old rafters and stopped at the walls. So I now have a water stain from the peak to the walls. Lovely. Just lovely.
Is water coming in a ridge vent?
inspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
Commercial Flat Roofing

Rewards Points: 75

No need for clarification on the roof coating.

Roof coating (aluminum or not) is for flat roofs, not shingles.
Talos4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:47 PM   #9

Shows how ignorant I am about roofs. I typically don't touch anything on the exterior. This was my own home and I went by some alleged "wisdom" from the older generations.

Thanks for the advise and suggestions.

steve

Advertisement