Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

My mobile home is leaking

I bought a trailer and the roof is leaking in a couple places. It's pretty old, and I'm afraid to walk on it -- it isn't shingled, it's... I'm not sure what it is?

Can I just buy 2 buckets of roof coating (link at bottom) and a long handled paint roller and roll it on from a ladder?

If I need to patch a hole, is there something I can use with this? Like, lay down ice guard, then paint over it?

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...ct_description

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

You are better to put a whole new roof, on it, other than band-aid it. Trailers are meant to be throw away items after about 10 years if not maintained. I had one that was about 30 years for a few years, and hated it. Was nothing more than a head ache every day. Even the second manufactured home I had was decent on the outside, but a pita for waste & interior doors & carpet.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

That cool seal is to help reflect the sun and only seal the tiny pin holes.
First need to figure out if it's the seams leaking or it's just rusted to the point
there's now pin holes in the roofing.
There's a self sticking rubber tape you use on the seams.
No do not try and use Storm and Ice and paint it!!!
There is also rubber roof coating that can be applyed over the whole roof. But it may cost as much as you paid for the trailer.
May want to see if you can find a mobile home supply near by.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,636

My old camper roof was leaking pretty bad but I didn't want to go back with EPDM so I did a little research and found a product called Gaco roof coating. I used it and am very satisfied with it. If you have a bad spot they have a fiber tape that you will need to place over the small holes as this stuff is pretty thin. The down side is you will never be able to paint anything over it but they say it has a 50 year guarantee, which I doubt. It is kinda pricey at around $87 a gallon but it does a great job, at least for me it did.

By the way, I didn't put this over the EPDM, I put it over untreated canvas which was glued to exterior grade plywood.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 10-14-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Can't spell
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-14-2012), tibberous (10-17-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There's a self sticking rubber tape you use on the seams.
Do you know the exact term for it?

It's hard to tell what is really leaking because of the ceiling tiles. The only place I know is really bad is where the vent pipe for the furnace comes it -- I want to take it out completely because I'm just going to use electric for heat (I don't know **** about oil furnaces anyway)
Old 10-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,516

Why don't you get a roofer to come look at it, It may just be a minor repair and not cost too much or look as bad as some of these patches sound like they will look. You don't say where you are but if it's like most areas the roofers are looking for work too. Maybe they will work out a deal with you.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Thing is, majority will not touch a flatroofed mobile home with a ten foot pole.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Why don't you get a roofer to come look at it
Because I was looking a a fix in the ~$200 range.

Eventually I'll probably truss it and give it a real, singled roof (already re-framing certain parts with 2x4's) It isn't just some $1000 piece of crap sitting in a trailer park, it's a $1000 piece of crap on 2 acres with it's own well and septic. I basically want to build it into a nice house a little piece at a time, without getting building permits or having my taxes go up (there like $300/year - school AND property)
Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #9

Check this out - you can buy the whole roof in one piece and glue it on: http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-x-50-BLAC...item19b281bd9e

After doing some surveying, it looks like it is only leaking around the vent pipe for the oil furnace. My plan is to remove the vent pipe, patch the hole with something, then worry about everything else next year (when I have some money, might just buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-x-50-BLAC...item19b281bd9e)

I'm thinking I just need a piece of aluminum and some roof patch and some re-enforcement tape - my plan is to not even nail it, just use a bunch of patch and stick the edges down with tape.

Unless I skipped the metal and just used the tape, but the tape only seems to come in strips.

That should hold for a year right? I could almost just tarp it for all the longer I need it to hold.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #10

Thinking about getting that Gaco Roof coating - can anyone else vouch for it?

It's cheaper than EPDM, but you need literally twice as much, so it actually ends up being more (about $450 in my case)

I also can't seem to find whether or not it bonds to fiberglass, because if it does, I'll use fiberglass and fleece to patch the vent hole.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Ole Wood Worker

That stuff sticks to just about anything, it doesn't do well over EPDM because the EPDM deteriorates. If the metal will hold up after it is dry, the Gaco will hold up also. The roof on our camper looks good and even dirt won't stick to this stuff. The only down side I can see is if the metal roof continued to rust, this stuff would not work.

I glued an untreated tarp (painter's drop cloth) down, then coated the top of the tarp with tight bond III, which is water proof itself. I then put two coats of the Gaco on top of that. Hasn't leaked a drop and won't as long as the tarp holds out.

Jim
Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
That stuff sticks to just about anything, it doesn't do well over EPDM because the EPDM deteriorates. If the metal will hold up after it is dry, the Gaco will hold up also. The roof on our camper looks good and even dirt won't stick to this stuff. The only down side I can see is if the metal roof continued to rust, this stuff would not work.

I glued an untreated tarp (painter's drop cloth) down, then coated the top of the tarp with tight bond III, which is water proof itself. I then put two coats of the Gaco on top of that. Hasn't leaked a drop and won't as long as the tarp holds out.
Sounds like that might be what I end up doing. I saw a video where they put 1/2 plywood down first -- would add quite a bit of work but only around $400. Could do that, then the cloth / glue, then the graco - about the same price as shingling it and probably a better end result.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibberous View Post
Sounds like that might be what I end up doing. I saw a video where they put 1/2 plywood down first -- would add quite a bit of work but only around $400. Could do that, then the cloth / glue, then the graco - about the same price as shingling it and probably a better end result.
If you go with plywood, get a good grade of exterior plywood, not the treated stuff, it won't hold up. You will need to use the fiber tape over the joints of the plywood and seams of the tarp also, Gaco is thin and goes a long way, I used a good solvent resistant roller.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 10-18-2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 12-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #14

Gaco turned out to be total crap. It's basically overpriced house paint, sold along side ridiculously expensive seem tape. I literally could have spent $100 on underlament and had a more waterproof roof.

There system for the seems is to calk them, then use $30 a roll seem tape, then put the coating over it - it doesn't work, and adds several hundred dollars to the already pricey coating.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibberous View Post
Gaco turned out to be total crap. It's basically overpriced house paint, sold along side ridiculously expensive seem tape. I literally could have spent $100 on underlament and had a more waterproof roof.

There system for the seems is to calk them, then use $30 a roll seem tape, then put the coating over it - it doesn't work, and adds several hundred dollars to the already pricey coating.
Sorry it didn't work for you, it worked perfect for me and is still holding up great, you must have gotten something totally different from what I got. They do have many different products.

What did you apply it over and how did you apply it?

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 12-13-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling