Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

my house is making me sick every which a way

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by familyfun26; 05-28-2011 at 08:29 PM.
familyfun26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Sounds like you need legal advice.

If it is that small off a town, then you may have to go out of the area for a lawyer!

You do need to get out of the house now.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #3

Gone.

Last edited by familyfun26; 05-28-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #4

Hello, cleaned up your first two posts somewhat in MS Word just to make your dilemma easier to follow and hopefully lead to some better answers.

"Hello. I recently was pushed into buying a house from my now ex-employer after they shoved my 2 boys and I into a horse barn. They told me I had to get out of the barn and offered me a house that they had just renovated. it looked nice and what did I know. Her daughter was living in it for 3 months after the renovation and then mysteriously wanted out. They said it was because she wasn't paying.
Anyhow, I had no idea what a home inspector was and I trusted these people 100%. It has now been 6 months and have found out the wiring made the house a fire hazard, now updated again. Was unaware of the asbestos shingles on the outside of the house. The paperwork I read on the house and there statements were that the house was wood. Plumbing needs to be redone correctly. I guess capping off the pipe under the kitchen sink is a no no and I have a methane gas problem. The roof was not updated in 2006 as the paperwork stated, now has new 2011 roof. The air ducts were so so. So moldy the black crap just hung inside the ducts so gross, the air duct man said it was considered hazardous material. And the kicker is there still seems to be some kind of problem here.

I do not feel well, my 2 boys have now developed moderate allergies to mold from this house, after blood testing, 11 month old with bloody noses, unexplainable, and dizziness and headaches and cloudy minded and disorientated. Don’t know what’s going on. I’m out of money now that I am 10k into this house only after 6 months! I still pay every month owner financing but I wish I could get out of this contract.
But since I am dealing with a millionaire and his mistress in a small town I don't have a leg to stand on. Plus they put the house 'as is'. He has the town wrapped. So now I am trying to figure out what I can do to make this house healthy and safe. I am scared for my children's health.

I know but the contract states 'as is'. I did not have a lawyer help me. I used their closing attorney and he said he needed a week to prepare it after signing. When I got it back things were omitted and new things were added! I am screwed. Their attorney even crossed out mold/fungi, roof, and wood destroying organisms on the paperwork. When i got my paperwork, it's not even there anymore, it even states that I waived my right to a jury trial and if I win I pay their fees and if they win I pay my own fees and their fees! It also says they are not responsible for any problems with the property, yet they can come whenever and check on the property and tell me to make updates and what not and if I don't it's considered default.
And they have first rights to minerals on the property because it is commercial. I don't know, I pay the taxes and hold the insurance. Found out that the symptoms I feel are more related to methane gas poisoning, which again goes back to the kitchen sink!
Agh, I don't have any more money to fix this. And if I go to court, I am so scared of losing that I have to keep the house and then them calling the note by the end of the week and kicking me out and having to owe all of the money anyway. Plus I have been told that the guy wouldn't think twice about paying someone to hurt us. I’m stuck.
They told me I had to keep top notch insurance on the house in case it ever burnt up and now I’m finding out why. I honestly believe that they had the house rigged to burn. The methane gas, bad electrical, junction boxes with no covers, wired spliced and taped together, and not to mention the 'chewed' charred wires behind a wall to an outlet in my boy's room. This house is a death trap but I have no where else to go and no way out. Just to sit here and be sick til something else bad happens. If I had a ton of money I would fix this house to code and be happy, but I don't. And it's all my fault. I’ve been told that I’m stupid and stupidity is no excuse to escape the laws."

Do whatever you can to make the house livable and breathable. Do you have any relatives the kids can stay with for their health? The asbestos shingles are not a problem unless they are disturbed. I have them on my house. I find them to be relatively low maintenance.

The bulk of your electrical worries can possibly be fixed by you relatively cheaply. Junction boxes and covers are fairly cheap to purchase. The illegal splices should be placed in junction boxes. New wire is not so cheap. I would consider just shutting off some of the more questionable circuits like the one in your son's bedroom. Unfortunately, if they hold the mortgage, they do have some say about the condition of the house. It does sound like you should consult with an attorny. At least in my state, many of them offer a free initial consult. A lawyer can tell you if your contract is even legal in the first place.

Last edited by Jim F; 05-21-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
familyfun26 (05-22-2011)
Old 05-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #5

Old 05-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #6

Well, you could take another approach, the news media. Is there a local TV station with a "investigative reporter" for consumer fraud? If so, call them up and talk to them. The millionaire pushing around the mother and kids makes great press. You may be able to pressure them into doing something...
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty1Mc For This Useful Post:
familyfun26 (05-22-2011)
Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #7

Last edited by familyfun26; 05-28-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #8

I doubt anything would happen to you once the camera shows up at his doorstep asking questions. He wouldn't want additional attention and focus on his business dealings and personal life. Remember, he won't know until someone inquires from the press, then it's too late for him to do anything. You could always tell the news person you are afraid of him, they will know how to handle it.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #9

Old 05-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #10

That is actually good news. You can probably get it replaced for free.

ETA: Well, maybe, maybe not. I guess it depends where your home is located...

Last edited by Marty1Mc; 05-22-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #11

Old 05-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #12

There are two states with settlements to class action lawsuites, Fl. and La. If you are outside of these states, then you probably should look at who in your area has filed a lawsuit, if it's been given a class status and then have your drywall verified as Chinese.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #13

Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #14

A few thoughts:

You need a lawyer. If what you say is true, there is definitely fraud here. And you should file a complaint against the closing attorney with the state Bar Association.

I'd also notify the building department of all the work done without permits. Whoever did it can be forced to tear it out and redo.

Don't know the laws in FL, but in many locations such a house could not legally be occupied or even sold except as a teardown.

Who holds the mortgage? Unless it's your ex-boss, advise them of the situation. In any case, notify the lender that you will make no more payments. What could they do? Foreclose? They don't want that house.

If, as you say, you are willing to forfeit your down payment, I'd just walk away if I were you. The house is hazardous to your health and dangerous. You need to get out of it.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #15

Last edited by familyfun26; 05-28-2011 at 08:32 PM.