||11-06-2010 10:42 AM
my fix for rotting outside sill on wooden window
Hi all, great forum. I ran across this fix totally by accident and necessity, and I thought I would share it with other homeowners who may have the same trouble. I have a 70's brick home with wooden windows and storms. On the north side of my house the bottom outside sill of the window was rotting, I am on a tight budget and could'nt afford a replacement window. I had already reglazed and primered and painted the window sashes, so they were in good shape. I came across pvc brickmold (about $10 per 8' piece at lowes), and I found that if you flip it over it has enough fall on it to make a sill. So i carefully removed the outside portion of the old sill, replaced it with a piece of pvc brickmold flipped over. Mine had a little lip on the bottom sill that the storm set against so I recreated it with 1/4 inch pvc strip run across the seam (small brats or nails and a bead of caulk under). I also replaced the brickmold on the sides and top. I had to drill around the little brats to remove the old wooden brickmold from the window since it was obviously installed at the factory and do this very carefully so as not to damage the window. The piece of wood across the top of the window can be replaced with 3/4" x3-1/2 "pvc (also found at home improvement store) or a piece of vinyl cut to fit, whichever works best. I just covered mine with a piece of vinyl siding cut to fit because it was easier although the pvc is nicer if you can. I ran a bead of good caulk between the pvc and the brick and along the outside edge of the sill where it sits on the brick. When I reinstalled the storm, to my surprise, I realized the storm covers all the remaining wood and I am now maintenance free on the outside of this window. The painted wood covered by the storm (only the sashes and a small lip that the storm sets against don't catch any weather and hardly ever need to be repainted anyway). So I was very pleased. For a few bucks I have a maintenance free window. Anyways I figure if I had this trouble a lot of other people do as well, and with the economy being what it is, it seemed only right to share, since this is diy site.