My First Post - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

my first post

Hi, I just joined this message board and am really hoping I'll find some answers.
My house was built in 1938, so of course the walls are plaster where newer homes are drywall.
Under the kitchen sink, in the cabinet, there is a hole in the plaster that for years has had a metal netting over it to keep any 'intruders' from coming in.
Recently a smell that I believe is making me sick (hoarse voice, coughing) has been coming from that cabinet.
I can't tear out plaster and I really don't know who to call because I want to see if it is what I fear....mold.
I survived lymphoma just 2 years ago so probably have a somewhat weakened immune system...but I do feel sick.
Any words of wisdom here of where and how to start this process?
Thank you,
Lori

Advertisement

soready4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

my first post

Lori: I'm glad to hear you survived, and sorry to hear about the apparent health issue you are having, perhaps because of this mysterious hole. If you don't know anyone who is employed in construction that knows a "mold pro", I'd at least get on the phone and call a few contractors to find out what this hole is for; ask for references, ask folks at lumber companies if they know a good contractor, etc. Once you know what the hole is, then proceed. Any good contractor can probably figure out quickly what is going on. Good luck.

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

my first post

Thank you for your replies.
The hole surrounds the pipe that takes the drain water outside. The kitchen sink is on a wall that goes outside.
I inherited this home from a friend about 6 years ago. Before living here I was a daily visitor.
I guess I will look for a mold expert?
I suppose I have been wanting to believe it was NOT mold...ugggg!
And I really did not want to have to contact one of those contractor people as I have never had a really decent experience with one.
There is a crawl space under the house. I had a neighbor boy go to the area directly beneath the sink, he could not see into the wall space but also did not see evidence of wet wood.
Sigh....any idea's of how to find a respected professional?
Lori
Old 07-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #4

my first post

oh, i forgot to add, i don't know why the hole is there....i suppose it never occured to me. i do know the metal netting is in various places around the house where a hole (i assumed a rat or mouse tried to chew his way in?) was placed to keep these unwanted ones out.
can varmits eat thru plaster? the hole looks to be very random and not 'cut' out, just maybe chipped out.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

my first post

If there's a hole there already, it should be easy to look in it to see what's going on. There are tools which can be used to see through small openings. I have a video device and an older fiber optic viewer I can use to see what's behind the walls. Since you already have an opening, it should be easy.
If there's mold, there's a water source feeding it.
Is there a water leak nearby?
What do you mean by, " The hole surrounds the pipe that takes the drain water outside "? Outside where? Pipes around here go to sewers or cesspools and each enter, under the frost line, through the basement.
Where are you located?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

my first post

You can use one of these to test it first if you just want to find out if it is mold or not
RKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #7

my first post

thanks Ron, when I say it goes outside I mean the drain pipe leaves the house goes down below and to the main sewer pipe. I live in southern cal. do you want a more specific area? the hole is too small to really see...and what I do see is the wall behind the wall...about 2 or 3 inches between the plaster and the outer wall. That area looks ok, can't see down below. Lori
Old 07-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

my first post

You can have it professionally tested or you can use the mentioned kit to test it. After you get the results, you'll know if it's mold.
Or you can call someone with a scope to look at it.
Or you can get someone to open the wall and look at it.
Opening the wall any handyman can do. While he's there he can fix the rest of the holes.
This isn't a complicated matter.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #9

my first post

ok, i just took another look at 'the hole'.
houses built in that era are different. the plaster is placed over horizontal strips of wood about 1 inch deep but not very thick. It would seem a massive job to tear that out....I mean, how do you replace that? under a sink? Who knows how long those strips of wood are or how many or how important they are to the integrity of the wall????? (rhetorical)
sooooooo, the wood strips look ok.
anyone hear of 'angie's list'?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #10

my first post

oh and the space between each strip is about 1/4 inch!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #11

my first post

If it's a small area there still are people who can do lath and plaster. If it's even smaller it can just be patched like dry wall.

Larger areas may require replacement. Again, you can replace it with the original lath and plaster or drywall.

You don't need to replace the entire strip of wood (lathing) you just need to get it to the studs in the wall so it is securely fastened.

Bill from MD
Billbeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

my first post

If you have no evidence of water showing up anywhere, then you may not have an issue at that particular place. Do it yourself mold test kits are notoriously inaccurate. They depend on mold spores to land on a collection plate, and mold spores are everywhere. They can't tell you whether levels are high, low or average for your area or condition, only that mold spores are present. What you really need is a professional testing company to come in and do some air sampling. Not only for mold, but for a variety of airborne contaminants. If performed properly, a pro can give you a report with numbers and types of spore samples to see if they are elevated. The report should compare spore counts from room to room as well as outdoor levels. They can also check for any sort of chemical contaminants as well. Old plaster on wooden lath doesn't last long when it gets wet. You would see evidence of any leak pretty quickly. How long has the odor been evident?
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #13

my first post

You also mentioned critters. If one chose a strategically bad area to expire, it could've the source of the odor.

Bill

Advertisement

Billbeas is offline   Reply With Quote