DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

My dead bolt is broken

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  kimigriffith 
#1 · (Edited)
HELP My dead bolt is broken

:furious:I got up this morning and went to open my front door and my dead bolt will not unlock. I have taken the thing apart and the bolt is still stuck. Does anyone have any ideas besides drilling a hole in the door so that way I can open it? I really need some help. Does anyone have any ideas?

#2 ·
If you have taken off the two machine scews and the front and back of the lock ,squirt some wd 40 on the latch take a phillips screw driver and insert it into the area of the latch where the tailpiece of the lock is usually inserted and try to turn the latch with the screw driver to pull back the latch bolt and open the door.

If this does not work hold onto the knob and take pressure off of the latch by either pushing in or pulling on the knob. Try both ways and use some pressure against the door to try to turn the latch with the screwdriver.

If this does not work, the only alternative is to destroy the latch. Take a flat screw driver and needle nose pliers( you will have plenty of acces through the 2 1/8' cross bore hole) and try to break the latch off in pieces . Don't rush and wear a glove in you left hand to protect from sharp pieces of metal . Keep taking the latch apart , bit by bit ,until you can pull the bolt back with needle nose pliers.

http://www.handymanjimnoonan.com

#3 ·
If you've taken off the front and back, you should have the inner deadbolt retraction mechanism exposed. All it should take is a flat bladed screwdriver to turn it unless the door is putting pressure on the side of the deadbolt, as with a compression weatherstrip. Try gently putting pressure on the door,pushing against it while turning the screwdriver. It should open.
Which make of lock do you have? Is there anything jammed against the door from the outside?
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.