Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 162

Is my bathroom exhaust fan on its last legs?

When I turn on the fan, it makes a loud rattling/growling type noise for about ten seconds and then runs smoother and with much less noise. I have been in the attic to make sure everything is secure and have looked at it a few times to see if anything is loose but can't find the problem. I am pretty sure the fan is the original in the house and is therefore about 27 years old. I have lived in the house for at least ten years but don't know for sure beyond that.

Is it best to just focus on replacing the whole fan unit or is there a way to fix this problem?

Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Replace it before you try to fix it. They are not expensive enough to warrant fixing them. If you can stand the rattle at start-up you may get quite a few more miles out of it though.

Last edited by user1007; 03-17-2012 at 06:42 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,990

You could try and find a direct replacement motor, but with one that old it's not likly to happen. Just replace the whole thing. Try to find one the same size to make it easy on yourself.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 506

It's probably on its last legs. But, before you buy anything, try a drop of oil on the bearings/bushings on both ends of the motor shaft. Lubrication is good. While you're up there, see how much wear is in the bushings, radially and axially. (big words, huh?)
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Replace it before you try to fix it. They are not expensive enough to warrant fixing them. If you can stand the rattle at start-up you may get quite a few more miles out of it though.
I would actually suggest a little effort to find a replacement motor, the basic design has not changed dramatically over the years. But my thought is based on the fact that a 27 year old fan had a much bigger mounting plate than most modern fans, and they usually face mounted to the ceiling joists, so getting it out will most likely involve destroying sheet rock.

If you decide to replace, it is well worth the extra cost for one of the new quiet models.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,178

not that expensive replace it ...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 574

I have restored many of these motors. Clean em up real good with WD-40 then re-soak the felt with a light electric motor oil.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 162

I just want to follow up with some additional info on this issue. When I went to Home Depot to look at potential replacements, I found out that you can replace only the motor and after further analysis of the noise I was hearing, it was most likely a motor with bad bearings. The rattling would be loud at first then smooth out a little as the motor got up to speed.

So I took the old motor out and went back to Home Depot to see if their replacement one was similar enough. It was close but I wasn't satisfied that it would work so I went to Lowe's to see what they had and compare. I bought the only one they had to offer since it looked more likely to work. It was just $15 and it fit fairly easily. The new motor is now in, the repair was much easier than I anticipated and the fan works like new.
Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle One For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (06-23-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle One View Post
I just want to follow up with some additional info on this issue. When I went to Home Depot to look at potential replacements, I found out that you can replace only the motor and after further analysis of the noise I was hearing, it was most likely a motor with bad bearings. The rattling would be loud at first then smooth out a little as the motor got up to speed.

So I took the old motor out and went back to Home Depot to see if their replacement one was similar enough. It was close but I wasn't satisfied that it would work so I went to Lowe's to see what they had and compare. I bought the only one they had to offer since it looked more likely to work. It was just $15 and it fit fairly easily. The new motor is now in, the repair was much easier than I anticipated and the fan works like new.

Good Going!

spinfisher is offline   Reply With Quote