Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Share |

Moving a pole building advise wanted.

I would like to hear from people who have dismantled and re-erected a pole building.

I need the Do's and Don'ts, The Would have and Should have's, and especially the Must do and the Never agains about your experience so I can decide if this is really what I what to get into.

Thanks Loren
Attached Images

Last edited by Rftlts; 03-07-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added photo's
Rftlts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #2

May be easer to just build a new one.
Any pictures?
What the building made of?
Unless I had access to a back hoe to help dig up the poles and pull them out of the ground. Even then the old siding materails just not going to have all the old holes line up when reinstalling and all the old holes would have to be patched up to stop leaking.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

The only time I have heard of this done they cut off the poles, attached a bottom plate and put it on a foundation.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #4

we backed a trailer under ours, cribbed the bldg to the trailer, chain saw'd off the supports & drove the bldg to a new location 3m down the road,,, as i recall, the only addl rqmts were straps holding it in place & several cases of cold adult beverages when we finished

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #5

dismanteled and reassembled one 30 years ago. "IF" the building is put together, especially the roof joists to poles, with ring shank spikes about 8" long wouldnt tackle it. rest isnt bad. use roof tin for sidewall and buy new roof tin.

Back 'then' we didnt have cordless tools, recip saws, or elect generators(they did but we didnt). Used all hand tools. Fell thru the roof once up to my arm pits due to something rotten under black jack board(which you couldnt see under)

NO backhoe required to pull posts. use a post hole digger, dig alongside, get chain couple feet down, get pole to lean a bit so you know its loose, put short round butt as close to pole as possible laying flat on ground, hook chain on pickup and pull pole, first up 2 ' then it leans over and follows you....hint, use enough chains it doesnt remodel your pickup while falling, ever, possible plus some.

On side nailers etc tap off from inside.

PS . that building pic looks strangely same as shape of mine, cept my size might be bigger, center was 40 bye 60 with a 20 foot sideshed. Built it back as 40 bye 80 with a 20' side shed on each side, think inside was 13 or 14 foot high ceiling height. Concrete and roof tin was only major expense, cept for all new wiring(ran outlets all around and light switch tied together on both ends.)

I would move another but would be twice as interested IF it was all steel construction(non welded of course) bolted. then number ALL sheets, parts and pieces for easier reassembly cause it goes back where it came from best!!!!learned that from moving a few grain bins!!!numbers, labels, and lots of pics are your friends.

As said best way is back under, jack up, haul home one piece or as close as possible(maybe take off side shed.) Most around here use new posts well creosoted bottoms put next to sawed off ones,,,lagged together like you see electric poles sometimes!!!

good luck, big project but worth it in long run!!!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #6

Thank you to all how replied

Rftlts is offline   Reply With Quote