Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Moving a door jamb

My husband and I are about to buy a new front door. It's pre-drilled. The current door jamb (where the deadbolt and doorknob bolt goes) is about 1/4" off. Would it be easier to just hang it on the other side?? How complicated is it to move up the bolt openings on the jamb part?? Keep in mind my husband is disabled so I would have to do a lot of it and I'm a very technically challenged person!! : )

Thanks for any help!!

Teresa

tkissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Moving a door jamb

Buy one that is NOT pre-drilled?

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #3

Moving a door jamb

It is unlikely that the new door will have the locks exactly where the old ones are. Moving the strikes can be done, but the functionality will depend on the skill set of the person doing the job.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Not so new

Moving a door jamb

tk...moving strike plates requires at the least a sharp chisel and a hammer.

Remove the plate and hold it against the jamb where it should be. Scibe around it with a sharp utility knife. You said you only need to move 1/4", so you'll only scribe the top or bottom.

Remove the plate and with your knife score along your scribe line into the jamb the thickness of the plate. Remove the wood to the score line. Mark for srews and install.

If all else fails, there's plan B....contact your local handiman.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #5

Moving a door jamb

Welcome to the forum, Teresa! As said, the 1/4" either up or down takes some skill and work to move. The holes in the existing jamb will be right where a screw needs to be for security, at least on the lockset and probably the deadbolt also. This entails filling the holes and drilling new ones, further weakening the jamb against security. Switching the jamb would not work for the door stops would need to change. Changing the door and jamb, the door would swing out of, instead of in to the house. As mentioned, buy a non-drilled one, be sure the bevel on the blank's edge is towards the latch side, with hinges on the square edge. And that the bevel's short point hits the door stop first.

Be safe, Gary
Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #6

Moving a door jamb

Unfortunately the door we want that is pre-drilled is PERFECT!! There's only one door we like that isn't pre-drilled, but it's not quite as good as the first one. But thanks for the helpful info!!!

Teresa

tkissell is offline   Reply With Quote