Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #1

Share |

Moving curb back 6"?

I'm starting the research phase of a new perimeter fence. Without getting into the unneeded details, I would like to move the current curb which is 6" in front of the fence back so the curb edge is level with the fence posts (curb ends at the fence). To do this I need to knock out my current curb, cut 6" off my neighbors driveway, and put in a curb 6" further back, and then resurface the entire driveway including the curb (it's needs to be resurfaced anyways, dumbass PO painted the driveway orange...).

My question for you concrete guys, is if I cut her driveway and round off this now very sharp edge can I make this blend in and look like it wasn't hacked, or will it be pretty obvious where I cut her driveway?

FYI, my neighbor has already OKed cutting into her driveway...

sgt_utz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
DIY staff

Moving curb back 6"?

We need a picture of this---

Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Jack of all - master none

Moving curb back 6"?

FWIW, if you are messing with the curb, you are doing work in the city's right-of-way, basically not your property. You might want to check with the city to make sure they aren't unhappy when they catch you later.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Too Old

Moving curb back 6"?

Sounds like you are messing with someone elses property. If it is not on your property I don't understand how you think you can cut a driveway, you had better get a contract and appovals from the owner of the property and check with the city at a minimum.
havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #5

Moving curb back 6"?

As requested here are the pictures for my fence and driveway. The PO decided to paint the driveway orange and it's the neighborhood eyesore that I'm trying to fix.

The curb comes about 6" in front of the fence. The gate used to be almost in the backyard (about 40' back), and the PO moved it to the front of the house (which I like having this enclosed space). I'd like to cut the orange curb out and have the curb be where the orange ends. This will make the curb flush with the fence and will allow me to expand the opening. The posts would be concreted level with the driveway so there would be no curb at all inside of the gate so I can gain that extra clearance. My main concern is pulling this off so it doesn't look like a hack job.

My main reason for taking out the curb is the gas line makes it very tight for vehicles on the side of the house. This will give me another 6" on that side, and when I redo the concrete on the side of the house I will be moving the gas valve 6" closer to the house (already worked it out with PGE).

Also, due to the fact that there is no support where the gate mounts I'm looking into putting in a steel 4x4 post to support the weight of the gate. I'll probably get it anodized to prevent rust. I replaced the 3 4x4 posts which were rotted. I just pounded it in the previous concrete with a sledge hammer and you can see how out of square it was poured and how I got around this for now.

What I'm thinking is I can take out the curb, and when I resurface I can hide where the curb used to be. Since both driveways have cured can I blend my driveway with hers, or will that crack down the road since they're two different slabs? I know I'll have to resurface the face of her driveway once the curb is removed, but to make this look good I'll probably have to resurface her entire driveway huh?

Last edited by sgt_utz; 08-07-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Moving curb back 6"?

To answer your original question, YES, your neighbors driveway is going to look "hacked" together. I'm not sure that re-surfacing will do much more than temporarily hide that fact.

Can't you just saw all the way through the existing joint to remove the curb? Is the joint between the fence & curb the property line?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #7

Moving curb back 6"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
To answer your original question, YES, your neighbors driveway is going to look "hacked" together. I'm not sure that re-surfacing will do much more than temporarily hide that fact.

Can't you just saw all the way through the existing joint to remove the curb? Is the joint between the fence & curb the property line?
What do you mean "saw all the way through the existing joint to remove the curb?"

Actually I'm not sure where the legal property line lies.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
FlyingHammer

Moving curb back 6"?

You sound like a very ambitious over-achiever.

If it were me, I would either pressure wash/sandblast the driveway to remove the orange paint, or just redo it with concrete colored paint.
FlyingHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Moving curb back 6"?

I think I may understand you question a little better now. You are wondering how the saw-cut will look when poured against? Shouldn't be a problem at all, even though it will be a sharp 90 degree angle vs. a radius.

As for the resurfacing, that shouldn't be a problem asthetically either, as it should just look like part of your driveway instead of hers.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #10
Too Old

Moving curb back 6"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_utz View Post
Actually I'm not sure where the legal property line lies.
You may want to find the property line first.