Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #1

Share |

Moving back slider door

I would like to replace my back door, which is a sliding glass door, with french doors. I would also like to move the door about 3-4 feet over. Is this extremely difficult and costly? I realize that I would have to frame, insulate, drywall and side the old space. Any suggestions?
diycogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
All trades carpenter

Moving back slider door

Quote:
Originally Posted by diycogal View Post
I would like to replace my back door, which is a sliding glass door, with french doors. I would also like to move the door about 3-4 feet over. Is this extremely difficult and costly? I realize that I would have to frame, insulate, drywall and side the old space. Any suggestions?
You will want to find out if this is a bearing wall first! If so then this project will take a bit more time than usual. You will want to put up a temporary wall to hold everything up while you tackle this. Then cut out and frame in accordingly making sure the header you install will support the weight soon to be on top of it. If you decide to keep the door in the same place make sure you order a retro fit french door! This door should slide right in in place of that sliding door!
CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #3

Moving back slider door

Call people in who know what there doing and get estimates.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #4

Moving back slider door

CrpntrFrk is right. There's a high likelihood that the wall is a bearing wall since it is an exterior wall. It is very, very rare that an exterior wall is not a bearing wall. Moving that door is certainly possible, but it is a pretty involved job, and is probably not a good idea unless you have some experience with framing or know someone knowledgeable that will help you out.

Removing the slider and installing French doors is much more DIYer friendly for sure. Still an involved job, but you don't have to reconfigure the header, etc.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote