Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
MLO

Share |

Moving a 18'x24' building

Hello to the forum, I had a 18'x24' monolithic slab poured and a shop built. This slab is several inches thicker than code and reinforced with 3/4" rebar on a 12" grid as it was intended to house a small machine shop. It is very solid and all work was overkill. The slab contains hydronic heating and was poured over a gravel bed and a vapor barrier. The entry to the shop has been deleted...please don't ask me how/why. I need to move it, if it can be, about 40 ft. in a direct line. Any equipment will have to fit "through" a standard 8' wide by 7' tall garage door. The ground is a level yard.

Any interesting ideas on how to save a $15K building I cant afford to replace?

MLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Contractor

One of my neighbors moves structures like you drive to work. What comes out of his mouth is funny just because it seems so inconcieveable, pick this BUILDING up and move it. Check him out here http://www.browniemovesit.com/ Maybe he can recommend someone in your area. Ask for Timmy.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
renovations

I once moved a smaller one, about 12'x16' or so, by backing a large flatbed truck underneath and then jacking the building up and lowering it onto stacks of blocking on the truck that supported crossbeams under the wall plates. We were replacing a foundation under it, so just drove it away, poured concrete and brought it back over. Don't know if you could do the same thing with one this big, but a bigger truck could perhaps do it. If you're talking about moving it with the slab I don't have a clue, but a house mover might be able to tell you. Not sure it would be worth it however. Good luck. Let us know what happens. (Take pictures)

Last edited by Bonus; 01-06-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:21 PM   #4

I hate to say can't be done but your getting pretty close to the limits. That slab would have to be designed like a tilt up panel and then some to survive the trip. And then there is cost effective. Like bonus said "let us know".
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
MLO

The slab was a 9yd. pour with integrated footings. The rebar job was extremely overkill and the slab after five years and being heated to 70* for most of it, does not even have a crack. The original garage door is no longer accesable and is relinquishing the building to being a studio. My hopes were to line the shops existing door up with a 8'x7' door I installed in the back of the homes existing garage.

Never in my whole life has the phrase "measure twice cut once" had a more relevant meaning.

Thanks for the brainstorming!
Old 01-07-2006, 04:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLO
...Any interesting ideas on how to save a $15K building I cant afford to replace?
here's another guy that might be of help http://www.sewellgeneralcontracting.com/
pipeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #7

saving the building--yes. Saving the slab--NO. Cry a river if ya want to but thats the deal. IF you saved the slab you wouldnt be happy and it would crack anyway. Pour a new one and stick the building on posts and roll it over to where you now want it. No way of leveling under a moved slab to prevent it from <crackin>, and how would you pick up 9 yds of a hunk of cement??? Pour a new one and dont get so carried away with it. Dont need all that stuff you stuck in her. Use the old cement for a basketball court for your kids or grandkids and smile every time they use it!!! Its called life!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
MLO

You are correct...I was in denial. Several respected proffesionals have also said as much, atleast based on the fact the cost of replacing the slab is the $ limit I was willing spend.

Thanks for everyones help and opinions!