Moveable Wall Curtain, Shop Area? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Moveable wall curtain, shop area?

I'm looking for something that I can use to partition off half of my shop area. Size is 10' high by 30' wide.

I'm tired of heating the whole building and will need to have access to it all only during the summer months. So I'm looking for anything that is easily moved and that's why I'm thinking an industrial type curtain.

Everything I found so far is pretty pricey. Anyone have a suggestion to offer?

TIA, Richard

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #2

You looked at the industrial cooler curtains? We have used some of those, and with the tracks they seem expensive to me. We saved money going to a local water jet outfit and having them order vinyl sheets(or maybe rolls) and cutting to our size. We captured the ends between 2 pcs. of alum bar.
The real ones with tracks are nice, though.

Advertisement

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I just finished my new building and want the same thing. I searched "insulated tarp" on the internet & found several places to purchase these. I haven't actually ordered it yet but its the best thing that I could find & I intend to buy when the time comes. I will need to find a track & rollers to hang from the ceiling & I think I can do that from McMaster Carr. Anyway I estimate that I can wall 30' X 12' high for about $600. I did look into an accordian wall but they are around $5000.
brad12512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

the least expensive option may be a blue tarp or similar,,,or a used tarp off a semi truck grain trailer(heavier) and put it on a roller style UP curtain. Usually more room to store up than sideways. You can make them roll up pretty easy. The center roller part on the bottom could be 30' of aluminum irrigation pipe,,,maybe 3 or 4" or smaller if you can find it. Larger means less rounds of rolling it up.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still unsure of which way to go but then again I've got the summer to get it done.

I did run across some 4X10X3" rigid insulation that was salvaged from a roof. I could frame around each piece just to protect the edges and make it T&G. Price is right at $8 a sheet. I'll probably buy all 40 sheets even if I don't use it for that purpose.

Still would like to have a curtain though. The roll-up would work for me too.