Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

moveable pergola.

Hi, I will try and explain my issue as best as i can. I want to install a pergola outside. The area is about 5m X 4m and in the middle is a hot tub with decking surrounding it out to 3 high walls. I would like a wooden pergola to offer some shade, but the problem is I also want to enjoy full sunlight now and again when in the hot tub. SO i am thinking is it possible to make some kind of drawbridge mechanism so i can pull the pergola up 90 degrees to rest on the back wall, exposing the area to light??. if so does anyone have any good ideas which would look good?

Hope that made some kind of sense??

thanks dave

seagulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

moveable pergola.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagulls View Post
Hi, I will try and explain my issue as best as i can. I want to install a pergola outside. The area is about 5m X 4m and in the middle is a hot tub with decking surrounding it out to 3 high walls. I would like a wooden pergola to offer some shade, but the problem is I also want to enjoy full sunlight now and again when in the hot tub. SO i am thinking is it possible to make some kind of drawbridge mechanism so i can pull the pergola up 90 degrees to rest on the back wall, exposing the area to light??. if so does anyone have any good ideas which would look good?

Hope that made some kind of sense??

thanks dave
Why don't you just motorize the top and open it up on hinges? And so you can follow the Sun throughout the day, put the pergola on a motorized merry go round like mechanism.
Take pictures and post them when you're done.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

moveable pergola.

I build Pergolas in my area, and often use the Internet to find distinct and different than normal designs. My first thought as to what you want is "blinds", yep, the type that cover the inside of windows. I'm thinking that if you use 1x4's or 1x6's, and designed in a manner in which they can be overlapped slightly, then opened when needed. With a pin in the end of each board, and all pins connected, it shouldn't be that hard to open them, manually or by some mechanically means. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote