Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #1

Share |

Mounting a TV on a stone fireplace

So we want to mount our TV on our fireplace, which is river rock stone. We obviously have to get the full mount that comes out and swivels and whatnot as you couldn't have it flat against river stone but drilling into the stone is making us nervous (and looks difficult). Do I need to hire someone to do this or how do we go about this? (the fireplace is gas)

christymichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by christymichael View Post
So we want to mount our TV on our fireplace, which is river rock stone. We obviously have to get the full mount that comes out and swivels and whatnot as you couldn't have it flat against river stone but drilling into the stone is making us nervous (and looks difficult). Do I need to hire someone to do this or how do we go about this? (the fireplace is gas)
You need a few things to hang the TV.
A hammer drill.
A masonary bit.
The ability to figure out how to hang this so it's plumb and square and won't fall down.
Post some photos of the area it will be mounted.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
DIY Hack

Quote:
We obviously have to get the full mount that comes out and swivels and whatnot as you couldn't have it flat against river stone
Not really. You could buy the standard "fixed mount" and depending on how you plan to anchor it, could simply use flat washers for spacers between the wall and the mount to level it as needed.

If it were me I'd use epoxy and threaded rod, but sleeve anchors should work just fine, and you won't risk epoxy running down the face of your fireplace if you overfill the holes.

Quote:
drilling into the stone is making us nervous (and looks difficult). Do I need to hire someone to do this or how do we go about this? (the fireplace is gas)
You get a carbide bit, a hammer drill, and have at it
If you are nervous, do a practice run. Go to your local stone suppy and get a few large river rocks, then drill some holes and set some anchors. Use the same type of anchors you plan to use for your tv and anchor something to the practice rock that you can use as a handle to lift the rock up by. This will give you a good idea of how strong your anchor is and should put your mind at ease

Last edited by Mr Chips; 03-06-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Chips For This Useful Post:
christymichael (03-07-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Real stone or thin veneer, like cultured stone?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #5

Mounting a tv above a fireplace will drastically shorten the life of the tv due to heat. People love how it looks, but plan on replacing the tv if the fire is lit often while it's in use...
Slyguysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

Besides slyguysmoke's comment, mounting a TV over (am I right?) the fireplace is crazy talk to a home theater purist. Middle of screen should be at eye level. Maybe add neck braces to list of items needed?

diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote