Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

mounting external tv antenna

I am pondering the best way to do this.

The antenna I bought (standard, fairly small TV antenna) has a decent J-style antenna mount with some pads of roof cement for the 4 screws. Is that going to be water tight? How worried should I be? I don't like the idea of screwing into my roof.

I could always use a chimney mount, but I don't like that idea for several reasons, one being that some of the bricks have spalled and it's 40 years old and I don't want to put any more pressure on it. Also, I have read that they are annoying to install.

I don't want to install it on the fascia either. We just had our siding and trim replaced and it looks great. I guess I could?

I tried it in my attic but I just couldn't get the reception I need in there.

Any comments?

Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

You don't have cable in Ann Arbor?

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
You don't have cable in Ann Arbor?
We hate cable. Way too expensive. We don't watch nearly enough TV to justify it. We don't care about 90% of the channels. A good digital antenna will give you tons of great HD channels. We get about 20, NBC, ABC, CBS, 3 flavors of PBS, and more. The HD over the air is higher quality than cable HD. And it's free after an installation cost. I spent $60 on an antenna and mount. I just barely can't get the reception I need in the attic. If I position it one way, our favorite NBC station flakes out, and if I position it the other way, the Detroit PBS stations flake out.

We've been streaming Netflix and associated digital/internet stuff for the last year with nothing but the internet connection we'd have bought either way and been quite happy with it. The antenna adds icing to the cake. My wife loves the added channels.

The cable companies can go bleep themselves.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amateuralex For This Useful Post:
dougp23 (06-08-2013), Hardway (06-05-2013), Kyle_in_rure (06-05-2013), r0ckstarr (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,064

I'm with you. After subscribing to DirecTV for more than 10 years, we ditched it a couple of months ago. Now all we have is Netflix. I do have an antenna, but have not yet installed it. It is programmable, so that once I've established the optimal direction to receive a channel, it will automatically rotate to that position when I select the channel.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
Amateuralex (06-05-2013), Kyle_in_rure (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 514

I got rid of cable about a year and a half ago as well. Over-the-air HD is better/clearer than Comcast offered, and about 90% of what we watched is on NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX anyway. The rest is all on Hulu/Amazon.

I have an antenna in my attic, a fairly nice and expensive one at that. It does no better than my $14 monoprice antenna did when inside the attic. I'm going to look into roof options as well, as CBS gets iffy sometimes - and football is on CBS. However with the small size of the monoprice antenna I have, I might just try to put it on the front porch railing and see how it does.

hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
Amateuralex (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I have a fairly big 8 bay bow tie array and rotator on a ten foot pole mounted with a Radio Shack gable end mount for the base. Then to make it strong I used 2 guys attached to the roof over the eves, so any leaks just drip outside. The third leg is made of EMT to a custom bracket that is mounted on the peak of the roof. It has two attachments on each side of the peak, and has been there 4 years with no leaks. Angle the guys so they pull slightly back toward the rigid leg and it will be stable in the wind. I made the guys with cable and compression sleeves and turnbuckles to get good tension, not the cheap guy wire that you just twist to make loops. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using DIY Forum
dmclean701 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmclean701 For This Useful Post:
Amateuralex (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #7

Thanks for the input guys.

I talked to the guys working on my house about putting it right into the shingles and they said that it could work loose over the years in the wind and let water seep in. They recommended putting a large board under it inside the attic and use huge long lag screws to secure it. This would attach it so thoroughly that it would last. And copious amounts of roofing sealant.

This make sense to folks?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

Post your http://www.tvfool.com results on here. As for mounting. post a picture of the sides of your structure, and the roof. I personally would not mount a antenna on a roof, unless you know what you are doing, so that you do not cause leaks.

Roofers hate antennas mounted on roofs, only because they have to put them back up after replacing the material and sheathing.

If you can, you would be better to mount on the side of the structure, with the brackets that can be attached to the truss at the top of the peak, and lower at the horizontal 2x4 or 2x6, with at least a 10 to 15 foot pipe.

Unless you use a rotor to turn the antenna, you will need to really take time to find the right direction.

I put mine in my attic, and used a Winegard Sensarpro, that I mounted in a project box, with a power jack for a wall wart, and the incoming antenna cable in a hole on the box, so I could better tune my antenna towards the two farthest antennas.

Post the tvfool.com results, then we can go from there on how best to mount the antenna. As for your opinion on catv and what the costs are, etc., sounds like there is more to the story, but personally really was not needed in post #3.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
I got rid of cable about a year and a half ago as well. Over-the-air HD is better/clearer than Comcast offered, and about 90% of what we watched is on NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX anyway. The rest is all on Hulu/Amazon.

I have an antenna in my attic, a fairly nice and expensive one at that. It does no better than my $14 monoprice antenna did when inside the attic. I'm going to look into roof options as well, as CBS gets iffy sometimes - and football is on CBS. However with the small size of the monoprice antenna I have, I might just try to put it on the front porch railing and see how it does.

That antenna from monoprice is actually junk. I took it apart, when I got my setup, which I had posted previously, and it is just a small circuit board, and two #8 rods for the antenna. I had it mounted in our front closet, and could pick up the local NBC channel at maybe 67% with it, compared to my current setup that I have now.

I thought that I had the photos in my album of my setup, but do not. This is what I have up in my attic. It is a Antennacraft® Y5713, Antennas Direct DB8, Channel Master CM7778 amp, UHF/VHF-Splitter combiner between the two antennas, mount was from Menard's hardware, for roof mounting, but have it on a piece of 1x6 carsiding, which is mounted between two joists up in the attic:
Attached Images

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,064

I'd love to be able to put my antenna in the attic. But we have a metal roof. Even cell phones don't work inside.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

This is the Radar plot I am showing for Ann Arbor in general, for you http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddad9a4193dd6 This will give you a better idea in tower direction http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=90

You would have no problem with the same setup that I am using. You only have one in low VHf. You could even get by with the 43xG http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...l_antenna.html As for your "small antenna, post a pictire of it please with manufacturer and model info.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
Electrical Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk
I'd love to be able to put my antenna in the attic. But we have a metal roof. Even cell phones don't work inside.
Really? I didn't know metal roofs affected cell phone reception. Our attic antenna works okay (regular asphalt shingles), but we still have that old flat twin lead cable; it doesn't work well with digital because its subject to so much interference.
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 512

Possibly you can do something like this. That's 3-1/2" angle mounted to the wall, 1-1/2" angle holding the U-bolts, black pipe post. Very solid. Increasing the distance between the upper and lower angles makes it stronger. I originally built this for my last house, where the pipe had to extend another 5-6 feet from where I could mount the base.
Attached Thumbnails
mounting external tv antenna-mount-13.jpg  
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
This is the Radar plot I am showing for Ann Arbor in general, for you http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddad9a4193dd6 This will give you a better idea in tower direction http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=90

You would have no problem with the same setup that I am using. You only have one in low VHf. You could even get by with the 43xG http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...l_antenna.html As for your "small antenna, post a pictire of it please with manufacturer and model info.
Hey there. I have the Clearstream 2V. It barely doesn't get what we need in my attic despite a lot of repositioning. I just tested it on my roof and it works perfectly. I am just a bit hesitant to screw into my roof. My roofer thinks if I attach a board underneath in the attic it will give it a tight enough grip to avoid leaking in the long term. Any comments about that?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Possibly you can do something like this. That's 3-1/2" angle mounted to the wall, 1-1/2" angle holding the U-bolts, black pipe post. Very solid. Increasing the distance between the upper and lower angles makes it stronger. I originally built this for my last house, where the pipe had to extend another 5-6 feet from where I could mount the base.
Great looking mount you have there. For me, I have to get it a lot higher up and there's no brick or wall to really mount it on. The fascia is an option but I'm not sure it's big enough and I'd rather not drill into it either.