Mounting Drafting Table To Basement Wall - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mounting Drafting Table to Basement Wall

I am interested of moving a drafting table to my basement and mounting it to the wall as a fold down unit when not in use (to save space). I have cinder blocks as my foundation walls. They are the standard size for New York area (Upstate/Central New York). I am not sure how to attach the wood braces needed. I am wondering if I use Tapecon Screws or expansion bolts or even rent a Hilti gun and use that. I will be putting up something like a 1X6, mount that to the wall and then mount the drafting board/table to the 1x6 with hinges and let it hang there and then when it is needed flip it up. I need to make legs for it but that part is easy. I also am not sure where I can screw into the cinder block without it splitting apart and causing trouble later and I do not see how I can get enough support by just going into the mortared seems joining each block. I am up for any suggestions or links to a DIY project like this.

Advertisement

SCOTT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

I'd use tapcons with 2x material for the supports. The 2x will give you enough material for your hinge screws. Drill your holes into the cores (voids) of the block.

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #3

Does the 2x mean 2"? Also, drilling into the cores, wouldn't that cause them to split? I think i read some where were the core section is the weakest? I just want to makes sure I do not do something that will cause me to get a repair guy to fix a foundation problem. Sorry if I sound ignorant on this matter. I get very cautious with doing these kinds of jobs.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 622

2X is for a 2x4, 2x6... I know the table will not weigh that much, but you are using it as a work station and you will need 1"-1" screws for the hinges.

Drilling a small hole into the core (3/16" hole for a 1/4" tapcon) will not cause problems.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

go with 3/8" wing nuts and washers to mount the header...to go into the cinder with a masonary pilot hole 1/4" bit then work it with a round chisel to take the wing nut.you want to drill on the cinder so you catch the hollow part of the block.hold the 2 X 6 up on the wall (height of table) and mark the outside of it all the way around.the cinder block has the mortar and in the middle of each one has a rib on concrete so that is 2 points you can drill and be hollow.5 or 4 anchors your choice...5 wing nuts one every 12" you'll be able to dance on the table.mark the mortar and centers above the 2 X 6 being held up and drill thru the wood with the masonary bit everyplace but on those marks...start on the left 12" and drill give or take an inch to stay away from the solid block.you have the holes in the wood,and the scores on the block drill those and round chisel the hole to bearly take the wing nuts.install the wing nuts thru the wood with a washer on the slotted end of the bolt that goes onto the wood.put up the wood with the wing nuts in place and pop them in with a hammer and screw them tight with a level on top of the 2X6.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #6

Thanks for your help Biggles and 47_47. I will let you guys know how this works out.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

cool i did a shelf behind my TV room couch just above its back...years ago......piece of 2x4 with the anchors into sheet rock on the horizontal stained it.then screwed a piece of pine 2x6 into it as the shelf.....and packed it with hardcover books the lenght of the shelf

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote