Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Mount Laminate with Brackets?

Brainstorming here...

Very old construction, plaster. Don't particularly wish to rip out and replace the walls at this time for a small project. The current problem is a corner style desk with a little opening in the center making it difficult to keep clean in the area, so replacing it with laminate mounted on the wall will remove that problem.

I want to put a piece of laminate in a recessed area that is about 4 1/2 feet wide, and about 24 inches deep. This is for a stand up computer station so basic piece of laminate will do and I will need to drill a couple holes through for the cables. The support would be for the maximum of 2 monitors, computer, printer, speakers, keyboard, mouse; not a lot of weight.

First thought was a 2x4 section on the left/right walls and run a couple board straight across and mount the laminate to that. Problem is one of the walls has the brick chimney, so there seems to be about 1 1/2 inches (including the plaster) so I am not sure I can mount to sufficiently sound for that.

This brings me to brackets from the back wall out to support it. This would give me 3 or 4 supports from the back (or if I add ones on the side walls 5 or 6).

As it appears right now the laminate section would be just under 4 1/2 feet and about 25 inches in depth total. Not sure if I should look for metal or wood or what would be the best way to mount it. If one or the other is more recommended, how big of a bracket would I be making or finding?

TheRelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRelic View Post
Brainstorming here...

Very old construction, plaster. Don't particularly wish to rip out and replace the walls at this time for a small project. The current problem is a corner style desk with a little opening in the center making it difficult to keep clean in the area, so replacing it with laminate mounted on the wall will remove that problem.

I want to put a piece of laminate in a recessed area that is about 4 1/2 feet wide, and about 24 inches deep. This is for a stand up computer station so basic piece of laminate will do and I will need to drill a couple holes through for the cables. The support would be for the maximum of 2 monitors, computer, printer, speakers, keyboard, mouse; not a lot of weight.

First thought was a 2x4 section on the left/right walls and run a couple board straight across and mount the laminate to that. Problem is one of the walls has the brick chimney, so there seems to be about 1 1/2 inches (including the plaster) so I am not sure I can mount to sufficiently sound for that.

This brings me to brackets from the back wall out to support it. This san diego propane delivery would give me 3 or 4 supports from the back (or if I add ones on the side walls 5 or 6).

As it appears right now the laminate section would be just under 4 1/2 feet and about 25 inches in depth total. Not sure if I should look for metal or wood or what would be the best way to mount it. If one or the other is more recommended, how big of a bracket would I be making or finding?
My recommendation is to ask one of the workers at home depot or lowes.

Preferably home depot because they have NICE employees!

Best of luck!

Last edited by diyjohn1234; 02-10-2012 at 02:00 PM.
diyjohn1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #3

For the most part, you would likely get better information by asking the nearest wall............IMHO.

Not sure what you are trying to do, maybe a pic of the area would help. To support anything of weight, any supports should be secured to the studs. Mounting supports into wood lath plaster(you said OLD) walls can be iffy.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-31-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
For the most part, you would likely get better information by asking the nearest wall............IMHO.

Not sure what you are trying to do, maybe a pic of the area would help. To support anything of weight, any supports should be secured to the studs. Mounting supports into wood lath plaster(you said OLD) walls can be iffy.
Simply trying to mount a piece of kitchen counter top to a wall instead of putting a counter beneath it.

Not a big deal though, I think I came up with a solution, finally found really long L brackets, hadn't found them before in my searching. 22 inch heavy duty L brackets should do what I need them to do.
TheRelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #5

You could install a cleat to that chimney wall using a masonry bit and concrete screws long enough to anchor into the brick. For added strength, use construction adhesive applied to the back of the cleat with a caulk gun. You should run a cleat all along the back, also. The counter will sag in the middle if you don't.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote