Mould Removal - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mould Removal

I had a leak in the roof and now I have black mould inside the wall cavity in the bathroom shower. Since then I have a new roof installed and have regrouted and caulked the bathroom shower. However, black mould still periodically shows up behind the silicone caulking.

On one side of the wall is exterior brick and on the other side is the shower tile. I don't want to have to remove bricks or tiles. There is about 2 feet of sheet rock above the shower tile that I can access. My plan is to make a sizeable hole there and remove the insulation. But there really isn't enough room to thoroughly clean the wall cavity or even to do a decent inspection. I am considering just spraying some sort of biocide inside the wall and maybe even throwing in a swimming pool chlorine tablet. And then fill the wall with insulation and repair the sheet rock.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this sort of thing and if you've got any recommendations.

Cheers,

Advertisement

halapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mould Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by halapeno
I had a leak in the roof
I have black mould inside the wall cavity in the bathroom shower.
black mould still periodically shows up behind the silicone caulking.

There is about 2 feet of sheet rock above the shower tile that I can access. [there is] insulation....
...there isn't enough room to thoroughly clean the wall cavity or even to do a decent inspection.
With this information I can not and would not suggest your plan...
Quote:
I am considering just spraying some sort of biocide inside the wall and maybe even throwing in a swimming pool chlorine tablet. And then fill the wall with insulation and repair the sheet rock.
...would work
I suppose it's possible you might "get it"....but it would be pure luck or chance
I certainly can't recommend it
Quote:
I don't want to have to remove bricks or tiles.
You really need access to the affected area
Anything not able to be properly mildecided needs to be removed
Everything that has/had mildew inside the wall needs to be sealed with shellac
There is no quick, easy, fix...it'll just come back to haunt you

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Mould Removal

Lifting off the tile and opening up the whole wall isn't really too hard.
I had a similar situation and I was able to remove the tile, clean it up and reuse it.
Just resign yourself to doing the job properly!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Mould Removal

You really need to open this space up and properly clean it. First is to make sure that you have repaired the moisture problem which caused the mold problem in ther first place. Mold will thirve on organic materials such as wood and the paper facing of the drywall. Killing it will only eleiminate half of the problem. To be effective, you have to remove the dead mold carcasses. Component parts of molds are a source of allergens. After you have cleaned it, seal the surfaces with something like Zinsser JOMAX http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=149
The chlorine tablet will do nothing until it absorbs water, which you should have eliminated. Spraying a biocide may kill the surface mold, but will do nothing to mold that is hidden in cracks and crevices.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Mould Removal

you are dealing with an living organism.the only solution is complete removal.no other way. it will always grow with a small amount of oxygen.remediation is a new money maker.remember,bleach bleach bleach,don't fall for scams.
justorr is offline   Reply With Quote