Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #31
Member
 
Ironlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 701
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Mould in bathroom


Amy, by sealant do you mean latex caulk? Is it sort of rubbery? If this is growing mold you should still be able to clean it off, but it might be time to remove it entirely and recaulk. If the edges of the caulk are no longer tight to the surfaces that they are against then you are going to get water behind them. I've often found that mold grows on caulk when it separates from the surface as it then harbors moisture behind it when feeds the mold.

And you may be fine leaving your bathroom door open when you shower. Depends on how big your hallway is, whether the bathroom fan is in fact working well enough to pull air into the bathroom. But I would not rely on this strategy for anything more than a stop-gap measure until you have the vent fan investigated.

One other thing that might help...a low flow showerhead. Less hot water GPH flowing through your showerhead mean less moisture in the air.

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Mould in bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevans View Post
Easier to tell from my name?
I seem to recollect a boy named Sue.
__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 AM   #33
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,795
Rewards Points: 2,096
Default

Mould in bathroom


I got into trouble here with a girl named Mick, is that the same?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Mould in bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I got into trouble here with a girl named Mick, is that the same?
I can't do any more gender bending, I pulled a muscle at work.
__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 212
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Mould in bathroom


I guess I should have explained myself completely, didn't know it would flame such a war...LOL

Tile and showers don't mix unless you install the proper materials, most people who are amatures will just tile over existing drywall or even cement board and eventually the water gets in and causes problems. I had the impression (sorry if i was wrong) that the original poster might be leaning to this quick fix...and would end up with similar problems.

I hope that explains everything a little clearer...

The reason I reported Bud, isn't because he doesn't know what he's talking about - its because he was being a jerk...no reason to respond the way he did..I have no problem with that.

Pretty hilarious macho posts though...
hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #36
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,242
Rewards Points: 2,134
Default

Mould in bathroom


Quote:
The reason I reported Bud, isn't because he doesn't know what he's talking about - its because he was being a jerk...no reason to respond the way he did..I have no problem with that.
No war...just get your facts right!

Okay as long as we are keeping the record straight around here just let me say that by reporting me you weren't getting a virgin. I get reported from time to time and it is mainly because I have a low tolerance for stupid comments such as the ones you made. You were incorrect on both counts and I said so. I don't see you defending your comments, I only see you back peddling and excusing your comments. Mis-information abounds on Internet Forums but when it comes to tile installations, and as long as I'm around, you and people like you aren't going to get away with mis-leading the DIY'ers here if I have anything to say about it.

No hard feelings on my part, didn't mean to hurt yours. But I'll bet the next time you think twice before you say something else stupid about the performance of ceramic tile and tile installations. Behave yourself.

XOXOXOXO
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 212
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Mould in bathroom


Backpeddling? Hilarious...

I guess the thing is Bud I know what I was thinking and it wasn't dumb...

No matter, maybe you'll rethink your arrogance and try responding with some more patience...or maybe not?

hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:20 AM   #38
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,795
Rewards Points: 2,096
Default

Mould in bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere123 View Post
Backpeddling? Hilarious...

I guess the thing is Bud I know what I was thinking and it wasn't dumb...

No matter, maybe you'll rethink your arrogance and try responding with some more patience...or maybe not?

MY $'s on NOT!
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:23 AM   #39
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,795
Rewards Points: 2,096
Default

Mould in bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere123 View Post
I guess I should have explained myself completely, didn't know it would flame such a war...LOL

Tile and showers don't mix unless you install the proper materials, most people who are amatures will just tile over existing drywall or even cement board and eventually the water gets in and causes problems. I had the impression (sorry if i was wrong) that the original poster might be leaning to this quick fix...and would end up with similar problems.

I hope that explains everything a little clearer...

The reason I reported Bud, isn't because he doesn't know what he's talking about - its because he was being a jerk...no reason to respond the way he did..I have no problem with that.

Pretty hilarious macho posts though...
Please explain this earlier post YOU made
I have an old shower, water eventually got behind the tiles and molded the drywall...

I am with Mr. Bud on this one.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 192
Rewards Points: 152
Default

Mould in bathroom


Wow, just wow.
pete0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #41
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,859
Rewards Points: 2,366
Default

Mould in bathroom


Still watching---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #42
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,242
Rewards Points: 2,134
Default

Mould in bathroom


Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 212
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Mould in bathroom


hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #44
Member
 
amyevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England
Posts: 83
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Mould in bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
Amy, by sealant do you mean latex caulk? Is it sort of rubbery? If this is growing mold you should still be able to clean it off, but it might be time to remove it entirely and recaulk.
It is rubbery, yes. What would you use to clean it off? And if that doesn't work, do you have any tips on removing and replacing it?

It doesn't seem too difficult in my head but I'm still pretty much a DIY novice so who knows what might happen!
amyevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Mould in bathroom


Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevans View Post
It is rubbery, yes. What would you use to clean it off? And if that doesn't work, do you have any tips on removing and replacing it?

It doesn't seem too difficult in my head but I'm still pretty much a DIY novice so who knows what might happen!
You cut it off with a sharp utility knife.
Flat to both the floor and wall.

__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wondering if it makes economic sence to replace a bathroom exhaust fan ChrisJJ HVAC 0 06-14-2011 10:36 AM
worth it in terms of energy savings to replace bathroom exhaust fans? ChrisJJ Electrical 0 06-14-2011 10:17 AM
1886 Eastlake - add upstairs bathroom or expand downstairs bath?? TOTALN00B Plumbing 1 05-14-2011 09:54 PM
How to select appropriate Bathroom Lighting crescentharbor1 Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 1 02-28-2011 09:47 PM
Basement bathroom wiring mess. Little help. trailblazer1229 Electrical 15 02-16-2010 09:29 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.