Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #1

Share |

Mould in bathroom

Okay, the wall around our bath is made up of tiny little tiles. About two cm's squared. The gaps in between them are a breeding ground for mould and no matter what I try (I've used a product specifically designed for mould) it doesn't seem to make a difference.

What's more, all the sealant has mould growing on it, and if I try to clean it, the sealant starts to break away so I stop.

Does anyone have any tips/ideas/miracle products for dealing with this? Besides gutting the whole bathroom and redoing it... that's not an option.

amyevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #2

Mould in bathroom

Post some photos.
I don't understand, ".all the sealant has mould growing on it." Sealant is colorless. How do you see it?

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

Mould in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Post some photos.
I don't understand, ".all the sealant has mould growing on it." Sealant is colorless. How do you see it?
Maybe sealant isn't what I thought it is!

I'm talking about the white stuff that's used to fill in the gaps between the bath and the wall. Except it's not really white anymore! What's this called?

I will see if my phone is up to taking photos of this - I don't have anything else...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Tileguy

Mould in bathroom

Quote:
I'm talking about the white stuff that's used to fill in the gaps between the bath and the wall. Except it's not really white anymore! What's this called?
In this country it is called "caulk" but in your country I think you are correct...it is called sealant.

Here...
"sealer/sealant" is used to seal the grout spaces between the tiles.

If you don't eliminate the source of the problem you will never eliminate the appearance of the problem. You are feeding the mold and allowing it to take place. The first thing to do is to get some air moving and keep things dry as much as humanly possible.

A picture would be helpful also and may help with further diagnosis.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #5

Mould in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
The first thing to do is to get some air moving and keep things dry as much as humanly possible.

A picture would be helpful also and may help with further diagnosis.
The bathroom has no windows It has an extractor fan but I guess it isn't working that well!

The walls are covered in moisture after a shower...

Am I better to leave the bathroom door closed after using the shower and let the fan do its job or to open the bathroom door and let some steam into the hall?

I've been shutting the bathroom door recently after hearing that leaving it open may lead to mould in the hall (it hasn't as of yet), but now I'm not so sure...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Tileguy

Mould in bathroom

If the (exhaust) fan is working properly then keeping the door closed would lower the potential for growing mold in the hallway, but, the exhaust fan would need to be able to draw make up air from somewhere. Maybe a louvre in the bottom of the door would help to promote that process.

The key is the number of [exchanges] in air volume that the exhaust can facilitate in one hour. If an exhaust fan is nothing more than an ornament and a noise source (as a lot of them are) then you haven't accomplished anything.

My first question is: Where does the exhaust fan vent to?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #7

Mould in bathroom

Quote:
If the (exhaust) fan is working properly then keeping the door closed would lower the potential for growing mold in the hallway, but, the exhaust fan would need to be able to draw make up air from somewhere. Maybe a louvre in the bottom of the door would help to promote that process.

The key is the number of [exchanges] in air volume that the exhaust can facilitate in one hour. If an exhaust fan is nothing more than an ornament and a noise source (as a lot of them are) then you haven't accomplished anything.

My first question is: Where does the exhaust fan vent to?
I THINK it vents to somewhere outside. But it probably has a long way to take the air which I guess would make it less efficient?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Tileguy

Mould in bathroom

Quote:
But it probably has a long way to take the air which I guess would make it less efficient?
Very observant and true. An exhaust fan not only must be powerful enough to draw air from a given area but it must also have enough power to move the "static air" that is in the duct. The longer the duct I think the more power that is required to keep things moving. Add some moisture to that air and the air becomes heavier and even more difficult to evacuate.

It is for this reason that we are (more and more) recommending a stronger fan placed at a different location so that the increased noise volume resulting from a more efficient fan is not so noticeable and a duct still draws the air from the targeted area.

The necessary air exchanges required is arguable but we use a formula that would produce twelve air exchanges per hour.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #9

Mould in bathroom

I'm looking at the same thing, redoing a bathroom and I have simular mold issues.

From what I've heard tiles and a shower don't mix - and while it looks nice, water will EVENTUALLY get behind the tiles and mortar and then you have nothing but a problem.

If your looking for a cheap fix, what about tearing off the tiles and getting rid of the mold and possible drywall...then installing a plastic surround?
hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #10

Mould in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere123 View Post
I'm looking at the same thing, redoing a bathroom and I have simular mold issues.

From what I've heard tiles and a shower don't mix - and while it looks nice, water will EVENTUALLY get behind the tiles and mortar and then you have nothing but a problem.

If your looking for a cheap fix, what about tearing off the tiles and getting rid of the mold and possible drywall...then installing a plastic surround?
Mold issues in bathrooms are caused by a few issues. Inadequate ventilation , inadequate cleaning or poor design.
If I wanted plastic walls in a bath, I'd stay at a cheap motel.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
Tileguy

Mould in bathroom

Quote:
hellothere123: "From what I've heard tiles and a shower don't mix"
I have a seen a lot of absurdities come across this monitor screen of mine and THAT is one of biggest absurdities I have ever heard. NONSENSE!

Quote:
hellothere123: "water will EVENTUALLY get behind the tiles and mortar"
That is basic knowledge with most all tile showers. It has been like that since tile showers began. They all wick some moisture behind the tiles. This is why tiles are made of baked clay and why they are installed with a masonry product. Water doesn't have an ill effect on any of that stuff. Water does however have an adverse effect on a substandard shower wall substrate. This is why there are rules.

Quote:
hellothere123:"If your looking for a cheap fix, what about tearing off the tiles and getting rid of the mold and possible drywall...then installing a plastic surround?"
That suggestion is just plain asinine. The mold is not being caused by the tiles or the tile substrate. The mold is most generally due to lack of ventilation and poor ( or no) maintenance routines.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #12

Mould in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Mold issues in bathrooms are caused by a few issues. Inadequate ventilation , inadequate cleaning or poor design.
If I wanted plastic walls in a bath, I'd stay at a cheap motel.
Its usually acrylic not plastic, and the poster said he didn't want to redo his bathroom...its an alternative
Old 10-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #13

Mould in bathroom

Quote:
I have a seen a lot of absurdities come across this monitor screen of mine and THAT is one of biggest absurdities I have ever heard. NONSENSE!

That is basic knowledge with most all tile showers. It has been like that since tile showers began. They all wick some moisture behind the tiles. This is why tiles are made of baked clay and why they are installed with a masonry product. Water doesn't have an ill effect on any of that stuff. Water does however have an adverse effect on a substandard shower wall substrate. This is why there are rules.

That suggestion is just plain asinine. The mold is not being caused by the tiles or the tile substrate. The mold is most generally due to lack of ventilation and poor ( or no) maintenance routines.
you have a real bad attitude and have been reported...

I have an old shower, water eventually got behind the tiles and molded the drywall...The cracks inbetween the tiles and I can see the mold...if he was referring to just general mold ontop of tile - it wasn't what I was referring to.

Your comments are way over the top - in the future never respond to anything I post.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
DIY staff

Mould in bathroom

Moderator here---Just checking in---
Old 10-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #15

Mould in bathroom

hellothere123...

You're making Canadians look bad...please stop

pete0403 is offline   Reply With Quote