Monitoring System? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Monitoring System?

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations in monitoring your doors and sliding patio door? I know there are security systems that can do it, but they're quite expensive (install and monthly). Right now, I have the Chamberlain garage door system that includes the garage door monitoring device (essentially it's a wireless box that has red/green light depending on whether the door is open or closed). I was wonder if there's something similar to that out there?

Thanks!

Advertisement

dajonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 27

Monitoring System?

I guess no one has any suggestions...

Advertisement

dajonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Monitoring System?

A big dog and a little dog. Best security systems, money can buy.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Monitoring System?

Like Greg said...a dog is your best and cheapest protection....99% of burglars will bypass a house with a dog.....burglars are lazy to begin with, so they do not want to bother with a dog....the exception being that you have something they want...hence, don't advertise what you have.

With that said....

Do a search...there is one web site that caters to the DIY security system. I'm looking to add one...we got burg'd back in Dec....no, I don't have a dog.....he got killed 2 years ago running into traffic....and we are waiting until the construction is done before we get another dog....

The DIY systems come in a couple different flavors...wired and wireless...some use both methods. If your doing new construction, wired is the way to go......retrofit?...then wireless.

I'm looking at one that has a feature that will send a text messge to my phone.

I'm also looking at options that integrate home automation.....I would like to be able to turn off/on lights from the upstairs master bedroom I'm building....my kids (and wife) don't know how to turn off lights.....

Just do a search on DIY security....plenty of links out there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via ICQ to kgrjohn

Monitoring System?

thats Great thanks
kgrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,030

Monitoring System?

Had one from radio shack. It called up to 4 numbers, wireless latches on the doors and pads on windows, Not very expensive from what I remember, Had to change batteries every month or so too I think.

Advertisement

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote