Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Moldy blue foam board under floor joists

Above the concrete, but below the main floor there appears to be blue foam board installed underneath the floor joists (this is also directly underneath a main floor bathroom in the corner of the house).

There was a nearby leak from a main floor toilet and some of this blue foam board seems moldy. We have already removed insulation in the area and killed mold on the plywood (there wasn't much and the wood is still firm).

I'm not sure what to do about the foam board though. I can't pull it out because it's under the floor joists.

I've already done my best to clean it with vinegar + hydrogen peroxide + water, but I'm concerned about the part of the foam board I can't see the bottom.

Any thoughts or words of advice?

zdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

First: Foam board by itself doesn't contain enough organic material to support mold growth unless it has some sort of paper facer on it. Otherwise the mold is living on accumulated dust and dirt laying on the board. Is the backside of the foam board inaccessible? I'm having a hard time picturing what you are working with here.
Second: Use a true fungicide instead of some home remedy.

Read this:

How to control Mold Part 1

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your reply Maintenance 6.

I don't know what's on the under side of the foam board. From what I can see it looks like this:

I cannot see the under side of the foam board because it runs under the floor joists.

I just assumed it was mold. It could just be really dirty?
zdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

My guess would be that you have mold growing on accumulated sawdust and dirt. Any kind of cleaner should remove it. That type of foam board isn't a food source for mold, but dirt on it will be. If you can't get to the underside, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's on the outside of your living space. Get it all dry and the mold will go dormant.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote